Rewiring an old house

Old 06-22-09, 05:43 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rewiring an old house

My downstairs bedroom and living room are on the same circuit. The two rooms are fed with old wire without a ground. The bedroom is fed first then the living room. So, I'm remodeling the bedroom and am putting in new outlets with new wiring. I am cutting new holes for new outlet boxes in the walls and drilling into the basement and feeding each outlet from the basement. Is this an acceptable practice?

For the old outlets, I plan on removing the outlets, splicing the wires together with wire nuts in the box, putting a cover over the box, and drywall over the box. I think I've read somewhere that all boxes must be accessible, so I would not be able to cover the box with drywall. Is this correct?

The problem is, I need these old outlets spliced together to feed the living room.

I could however redo the wiring in the living room too. Again, cut new holes in the walls and put new outlets in and feed each one from the basement. I would put the bedroom and living room each on their own circuit and would remove the old circuit from the breaker box. Therefore, the old lines would no longer be energized and would not be used. In this case, could I remove the old outlets, wirenut the wires, cover the boxes and drywall over them? Since they're not energized and not connected to a circuit, is this ok?

Thanks for your help.

Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-09, 05:51 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Assuming you don't mean knob and tube find the beginning of the wiring to the living room and run new cable there or the last box in the bedroom.. Abandon the bedroom wires.

Old 06-23-09, 05:35 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 95 Posts
What you have proposed will work and would be compliant. As you stated, you'll need to keep those boxes accessible.

If it were my house, I'd either do what Ray suggested and run a new circuit to the 'first' living room receptacle and disconnect, cut, and abandon all the bedroom wiring OR just replace all the receptacles in the living room at the same time.

I know it would drive me crazy having all those covered boxes scattered about. I'd much rather cut out the old boxes with a sawzall, install new boxes in the same locations, and add a few extra boxes where needed. That way you won't have any big holes to patch and won't end up with any covered boxes.

Remember to follow the 6-12 rule and also check to see whether AFCIs are required for bedrooms in your locale.