HDTV antenna in attic

Old 06-23-09, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile HDTV antenna in attic

I'm planning to install the ChannelMaster 4221HD antenna in the attic. It will fit easily using the Channel Master 3078 Roof/Attic Mount.

1) Do i need to ground it? Its in the attic.
2) I need to fish cable wire from the attic to the room below. Apparently the TV wall is in the center of the house. As read, I intend to use a fish tape... Drill twice the size of hole from the attic and pull back the wire. I've never fished before... Do you think i should attempt? How do i know where to drill in the attic. Are there joists always above the wall ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-09, 12:12 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Drill a 1/8" hole in the ceiling above where you want the antenna wire. Insert a stiff wire into the attic, Use this as a guide to where to drill. Once you push back the insulation you should see the top stud plate. Drill a 3/4" hole in the center. Cut a hole in the wall for an old-work box where you want the antenna. (This will be directly below the 1/8"hole.) If the wall is uninsulated and no fire stops you should be able to drop a weighted string and stick your hand in the old-work box opening and grab it.

You should check that the spot chosen is not directly over a stud.

Old 06-23-09, 12:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by rampageido View Post
1) Do i need to ground it? Its in the attic.
No grounding required.

Drilling down from the attic is pretty easy. Pull back the insulation and you will be able to see the 2x4 top plates of the partition walls. Find your spot by measuring off a common reference point and take the auger bit to it. Depending on exactly how the wall was framed, you may even be able to locate the studs from above by looking at the nail heads in the top plate.

Old 06-23-09, 01:35 PM
Do consider testing your antenna some with a temporary cable strung through the attic access. I have had this same antenna for a few years now, and found that when I first installed it in the attic there was too much multipath interference and had reception issues. I found it worked best outside.

Old 06-24-09, 08:00 AM
Thankyou everyone. Will update after checking whats up there.

And i will check the performance of the antenna in the attic first as well.

great tips!

Is there a recommended antenaa for the attic?

Old 06-24-09, 08:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Really any one that works for you. Of course if you mount it outdoors you will get a better signal, but many people get a good enough signal from the attic so you might as well try that first.

Old 06-24-09, 11:33 AM
If you Google with a restriction on sites less then 1 month old you will find plenty of problems with people not receiving signals because the FCC was wrong in some cases on what would be required for a station to transmit a signal. Some stations have already been authorized to double or triple their power, In Nashville the FCC sent engineers to some peoples home and in some cases even changing the antenna was not totally successful. The biggest problem is on the lower VHF channels. At least one channel was allowed to switch back to the UHF channel it used during the testing phase.

Old 06-24-09, 04:28 PM
Thankyou everyone. Will update after checking whats up there.

And i will check the performance of the antenna in the attic first as well.

great tips!

if you need only UHF i can personally recommend the somewhat expensive DB8. It got in all my stations in the attic but one. So i had to roof mount it. Just ensure you dont need any VHF because it wont work.

Old 06-24-09, 06:37 PM
pre-amp

Interesting... Do you think a pre-amp will help to compensate for the attic insulation?
Can i install the pre-amp closer to the TV rather than in the attic with the antenna?
I'd rather pick the pre-amp up while picking up the antenna tomorrow.

Old 06-24-09, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by luckydriver View Post
if you need only UHF i can personally recommend the somewhat expensive DB8. It got in all my stations in the attic but one. So i had to roof mount it. Just ensure you dont need any VHF because it wont work.
You need a combination VHF/UHF antenna after the change. Most stations that were VHF analog temporarily broadcasting HD on UHF before the change are going back to VHF. Many sites I read early on gave the incorrect impression that stations were permenently moving out of the VHF band. That was wrong.

Old 06-24-09, 09:05 PM
Interesting... Do you think a pre-amp will help to compensate for the attic insulation?
Can i install the pre-amp closer to the TV rather than in the attic with the antenna?
It might help but I would not count on it. The main benefit of a pre-amp is to compensate for line loss from the antenna to the main amp or tv. The pre-amp needs to be mounted as close to the antenna as possible. The pre-amp will receive power via the coax from a unit you install in the main part of the house. The unit in the house will need to be plugged into an outlet and have the coax attached to it. If you have power in your attic you could get a normal amp and mount it in the attic.

Karl

Old 06-25-09, 03:39 PM
how long was the wire when you were testing your attic setup? For example, i was using about 50ft of wire directly from my tv up my steps into my attic. However, to permanently wire this, i had to add an additional 75 ft of wire around my entire house. without the channelmaster 7777 in place, i didnt get very good signals in with 125 ft of wire. but putting it inline, i'm got my signal back.

I've had the CM in my unconditioned (but enclosed) breezeway for a few winters now and it's worked perfectly. So i guess it can handle down to 0 pretty well. I think thats what makes a preamp better. It's meant to be outside. it's about 25 ft from the TV and a good 100 ft from the antenna. so id say yes yours can be closer to the tv.

vs some leviton amp i had gotten from home depot.

PS I just remembered i'm not considering the line that runs out my attic window and up to my roof...so add about 25 more feet to my overall length.