GE subpanel woes

Old 06-28-09, 07:49 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE subpanel woes

Hi all,
First time here. Just installed a 125 amp outdoor plastic subpanel at my lakehouse. I ran a 3 wire line plus ground (for a total of four wires) from the main panel using a double 40 amp (240 volt breaker). The sub panel box is a GE TPL412RP with 4 spaces for 8 single circuits or 4 GFI circuits or a combination of each. After hooking everything up from my main breaker panel, I find that the first two circuits (space one) is hot with 115 volts. Space two is not hot. Space three is hot but space four is not hot. I ran the ground of the 4 wire line to one of the two small bars used for all the grounds and the neutrals for each circuit. I ran the white coming from the main panel and 40 amp breaker to the first large lug in the sub panel. I ran the red to the second large lug in the sub panel and ran the black from the main to the third large lug in the sub panel. Why are spaces 1 and 3 hot but 2 and 4 are not hot. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for the help.
Bob

Old 06-28-09, 08:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 97 Posts
Did you use a two pole breaker to feed the subpanel?

Can you post a pic so that we can see the arrangement of the lugs in the subpanel?

Old 06-28-09, 08:17 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Please don't take offense but I don't think you really have a good understanding of what you are doing.
I ran the white coming from the main panel and 40 amp breaker to the first large lug in the sub panel.
Don't have a clue what that means but the white wire should have ran between the neutral bus in the main panel and the neutral bus in the sub panel.
ran the red to the second large lug in the sub panel and ran the black from the main to the third large lug in the sub panel.
Again what you write is meaningless. The red and black should have ran between the breaker in the main panel and the main breaker in the sub panel. Also you should have a separate ground bar for the ground wire. The ground bar must be bonded to the case and the neutral bar must be isolated.

Note if you use 6 breakers or less you won't need a main breaker for the sub panel. If that is the case the red and black go to the main lugs the ones for the two bars the breakers clip to.

Note if the main panel is GE it may be possible to install even a full size two pole breaker so you only get 120v.

Old 06-28-09, 08:20 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I found the install manual at GE's web site. After looking at it it looks like their is a ground/neutral bar on each side and the two main lugs are near the center top of the panel. You want the red and black wires to connected to the two center lugs. You then need to connect the white/neutral should be attached to the lug on on the right of the two center lugs. This is based on the lugs being at the top of the panel. The ground should be connected to the equipment ground bar on the far right side of the panel.

One note, on sub-panels, the ground and neutrals are kept separate. Based on the manual you can convert the neutral bar on the left side to a ground bar by removing the crossbar and adding a bonding screw. You must make sure that the bonding screws are removed so the ground and neutrals are separate.

Karl

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: