Replacing Outlet

Old 06-28-09, 09:10 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing Outlet

Hi there
I replaced an old outlet in one of my bedrooms. When I went to test it out, there was no power to the outlet. The original outlet was backstabbed, I used sidescrew for new outlet. bare to ground, white to silver and black to copper. I then noticed that the other outlets in the room were not working either...along with one outlet in the adjoining room... I went down and reset the breaker once more ...but no luck. I know just enough about electricity to get my self in trouble...so no real clue how to trouble shoot what I might have done... the new outlet I am using is a 2 pole 3 wire...I have not removed the tab on the copper side...
Any ideas?

Old 06-28-09, 09:52 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
When you say you reset the breaker.. you mean of course that you had turned if off to do the work right ? (ie, it hadnt tripped for some reason). Do you have a multimeter and know how to safely test the voltage on the breaker output ?

If all you did was replace a backstabbed receptacle with a terminal wired one, that shouldnt have killed the power. Was there other connections in that box (wire nuts etc) ? Perhaps you loosened a connection in there ? Otherwise , suspect a failed breaker.

Old 06-28-09, 10:05 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Dave, correct, I had turned it off to do the work, turned it back on, noticed nothing was working...went back down and turned it off then on again... (sorry, background working with computers...restarts solve a lot of problems
I do have a multimeter but not sure on how to test. However, the lights that are on that breaker are still operational. It is just the outlets...

Originally Posted by DaveC72 View Post
When you say you reset the breaker.. you mean of course that you had turned if off to do the work right ? (ie, it hadnt tripped for some reason). Do you have a multimeter and know how to safely test the voltage on the breaker output ?

If all you did was replace a backstabbed receptacle with a terminal wired one, that shouldnt have killed the power. Was there other connections in that box (wire nuts etc) ? Perhaps you loosened a connection in there ? Otherwise , suspect a failed breaker.

Old 06-29-09, 06:37 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Oh ok.. other devices on that breaker are still working. Good, that eliminates the breaker as an issue. You're gonna have to go back into that box (with the breaker off) and see whats up. There might be a wire nut connection pushed down deep in there.. perhaps the connection came loose. While you're in there.. see if the ground wire is properly affixed to the metal box (should be on a screw down near the base of the box).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: