receptacle placement questions?

Old 07-02-09, 08:54 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
receptacle placement questions?

well about 3/4 done with my addition wiring project! 24x30 2floors. some detail questions.

in my master bedroom walk-in closet (9x11) , do same rules apply-can't be more than 6ft from receptacle? any advice on putting them in this closet? unfortunately I don't yet know how it is going to be laid out. just put at normal height as rest of them? I wish I knew layout so I could be sure they won't be hidden behind dressers or clothes but I don't. I am using the 20amp receptacle circuit from master bedroom for the receptacles in this closet.

in master bedroom. trying to lay out receptacles on wall where I anticipate the bed and nightstands will be. should I try to place them in the space between the bed and nightstand on each side? or should they go behind nightstand but shifted near the edge so can access them.

bathroom- height of receptacles over vanity. vanity height 34 1/2", counter 1 1/2", backsplash 4", tile floor maybe 1", space between top of backsplash and bottom of receptacle? so if I put them 2" above backsplash that would be 43" from subfloor. that sound right? one of the receptacles is going to be near the vanity overhead light switch (will be on opposite side of a stud with the light switch being on the outside vanity. the switch is set with bottom at 47", so do you think that would look strange to have a receptacle 4" below the light switch when they are so close together? wife said she wanted receptacle on each side of the bowls (that means two near center of the vanities between the two bowls and two on the outsides of the bowls). oh, and think I am mounting them vertically. just think I will like look better. although I think in kitchen will put horizontally due to lack of space in some areas. the kitchen will be done later.

I know these are probably silly but I am trying to avoid the inevitable "I wish I had done it this way" for example, everyone has said to put boxs for fans in rooms. with recessed lights now the thing, you won't have a box in place if want a fan in future. I think that is good idea so I have added one to family room and to the office. even if I don't want it now, the box is there if need in future. and other advanced thinking ideas you might have would be appreciated.

Old 07-02-09, 09:41 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by hammerash
do same rules apply-can't be more than 6ft from receptacle?
Nope -- no receptacles are required in a closet.

that would be 43" from subfloor. that sound right?
Yes, about 42" - 48" is the most common position. You may want to lean on the lower side of that if you plan to mount a large mirror.

the switch is set with bottom at 47", so do you think that would look strange to have a receptacle 4" below the light switch when they are so close together?
Yes I think that would look strange. If it was around a corner you probably wouldn't notice, but right next to each other would look weird.

Old 07-02-09, 11:26 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Nope -- no receptacles are required in a closet.

good. I think I will put at least one in there since it is pretty big and may want a radio in there or something else.

Yes, about 42" - 48" is the most common position. You may want to lean on the lower side of that if you plan to mount a large mirror.

yes, think going to have a large mirror in front of the vanity. NOT one of those medicine cabinet/mirror/light units

Yes I think that would look strange. If it was around a corner you probably wouldn't notice, but right next to each other would look weird.[/QUOTE]

I mentioned it to wife. not sure what to do if she wants the receptacle? could I put them in double gang at 47"? although as you said, with the mirror that may be kinda high. other thing is that they are different circuits. the lights are a general lighting circuit in addition. the receptacles are on their own circuit and only in the bathroom. would it be OK to put them together in double gang? my old bathroom has this sort of arrangement but everything is on same circuit. I think I would have to move things around to make this work.

Old 07-03-09, 07:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The receptacle circuit can share the 2 gang box with the switch for the lighting. The only thing you need to do is to connect all the bare grounds together from both circuits. you would still attach the ground to the switch and receptacle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: