installing multiple gcfi recepticals

Old 07-06-09, 06:22 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
installing multiple gcfi recepticals

Good Evening !!

I am a bit confued about the project I am currently working on. I am putting in multiple gcfi recepticals in a room that just had a few outlets. I have the wires hooked up coming from the main line and I can see I have to remore the tape to add the wires to continue on but what do I do with the other ground as there is no place to put it ?? Thanks

Old 07-06-09, 06:51 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
A string of GFCI receptacles can be wired in one of two ways:

1) Every receptacle is GFI, and each is daisy chained using the LINE terminals on the GFI. The taped over LOAD screws are not used. The benefit of this is that each receptacle is protected by its own GFI, and one tripping doesn't turn off all the others. The downside is that you're going to pay $13 per receptacle.

2) The first receptacle on the string (sometimes requires some trial and error to find), has the GFI. The main power coming from the breaker goes into the LINE screws. The string going to the rest of the regular receptacles connect to the LOAD screws. This protects the rest of the receptacles. After it's wired up, you should test it by tripping the GFI, this should then turn off all the downstream receptacles.

As for grounds, you'll need to twist the two (or more) grounds together and add a 6" pigtail of the same gauge wire. The pigtail goes to the GFI. Finish it off with a wire nut.

Old 07-07-09, 04:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If your receptacles are on the same circuit, you only need one GFCI receptacle, as Zorfdt mentioned. Install the line in the line side and all downline receptacles will be protected by running them from the load side of the receptacle. Installing multiple GFCI's is expensive and unnecessary, unless they are on different circuits.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: