power issue with bathroom fans

Old 07-07-09, 05:27 PM
power issue with bathroom fans

Yesterday the bathroom fans (and the lights connected to them) in both of my upstairs bathrooms stopped working. I have taken the lights out and verified that the bulbs are working. I have also plugged in a clock into the outlet in the fan that the light was connected to and the clock doesn't turn on. I then went downstairs and turned off all the breakers and back on again. I tried this twice but the fan still doesn't work. Since the bulbs are fine and both fans stopped working at the same time, I assume it's a problem with a breaker that supports both of them, but I don't know what to try next since flipping the breakers on and off didn't do the trick.

Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-09, 05:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes Received: 2
Welcome to the forums! You apparently have a GFCI somewhere that supplies these lights and it has tripped. Sadly to say it could be as far away as the garage. Check all GFCI's in the house as well as outside ones to see if any have tripped.

Old 07-07-09, 06:03 PM
Upvotes Received: 16
My bathroom receptacles used to be powered through a GFCI receptacle located in the garage. What made it doubly hard to locate was that a previous owner had installed on of those multi-tap adapters that completely covered the receptacle and therefore covered the test and reset buttons. I have since eliminated that particular GFCI receptacle and installed individual GFCI receptacles in each bathroom.

Old 07-07-09, 06:06 PM
problem solved

Thanks, Chandler & Furd! It sure was a GFCI in the garage that needed to be reset. Much appreciated!