Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Wiring new Vision Pro IAQ to Goodman new furnace and AC GMH95/GCH9

Old 07-09-09, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

First it all Hi to all I am a newbie

I have a new Goodman furnace and a/c installed with an old MagicStat CT3200 honeywell termostat I am trying to connect a new VISION PRO IAQ but can't get it working I will try to explain what I done the to the best of my abilities please help

I am trying to connect the IAQ thermostat and replace the old one first issue I have I have 4 wires instead of 3 my guess 2 for the AC and 2 for the Furnace. the IAQ panel requires only 3 terminals so what I did as per my A/C tech advise was:

W ---------White wire
Y-----------White wire
G-----------Black wire
R-----------Black wire
What I did in the thermostat panel I connected
R to 1
W to 2
Y to 3
Left “G” without connecting to anything just capped with tape

In the furnace I disconnected and re- connected the wires going from the thermostat to the furnace in the same order to the EIM
R to 1
W to 2
Y to 3
I leaved “G” connected to “G” in the furnace panel.
Then I got a five wire cable to connect :

Y ----- Y and black wire from C
W ----- W
R ----- R
G stay the same form thermostat panel to G in furnace
C has an outside cable with 2 wires black and white connected to the furnace panel
C ----- white wire
Y----- black wire

I am sure I am connecting something wrong because I can’t even get the thermostat screen to light on! And no light on the led on in the EIM

Any advise will be appreciate thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-09, 04:12 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
I'm totally confused with your "white wire number 1, etc." so I will attempt to describe the wiring as it should be. I am also confused when you state there are only three terminals on the new thermostat. Are you SURE that the thermostat is compatible with your furnace and air conditioner? Perhaps if you post the ENTIRE model number I can look it up for you.

Standard thermostat wiring for one stage heating and one stage cooling requires a five-conductor cable between the furnace/air handler and the thermostat along with a two-conductor cable between the furnace/air handler and the outside condensing unit.

The furnace-to-thermostat cable connects as follows:

Red lead to R on the furnace and to R on the thermostat with a "jumper" to Rc (Some thermostats have Rh and Rc)

White lead to W on the furnace and to W on the thermostat

Green lead to G on furnace and G on the thermostat.

Yellow lead to Y on furnace and Y on thermostat.

Black (sometimes blue) to C on furnace and C on thermostat.

The furnace-to-outside-unit cable connects as follows:

One lead (color unimportant) from furnace Y to outside unit Y

One lead (color unimportant) from furnace C to outside unit C

The red lead to the thermostat is the 24 volt control power supply.

The White lead is the 24 volt control for heating.

The Green lead is the 24 volt control for the blower operation.

The Yellow lead is the 24 volt control for cooling.

The Black (or blue) lead is the 24 volt control common return.

If you have two-stage heating and/or cooling there will be additional terminals and wiring. Heat pumps also have additional terminals and wiring.

Old 07-09-09, 04:51 PM
i hope this helps to figure it out. if you want I can take some pictures of the current hook up to make it easy for you

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 09-28-09 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Not necessary to quote entire previous post; please use the "reply" button.
Old 07-09-09, 05:05 PM
Let you know one of the link is allready in French but foretally I can speak french fluent so here a quick run down with your current thermosat

G- Vert { Green } Ventation ( Fan )
Y - Jaune { Yellow } Cooling
W- Blanc { White } Heating
•Rc Bleu { Blue } Cooling common
•R -Rouge { Red } Heating Common

• both termail will have common jumper so expect that.

That from translated from French to Engish for ya.

Merci,Marc

http://customer.honeywell.com/techli...t/69-0653F.pdf

( that link above is French verison )

Old 07-09-09, 05:07 PM
Ah, I had a sneaky feeling that is what you had. I assume that you also have the control module for the thermostat?

You need to disconnect the wires from the thermostat and the furnace as a first step. Be sure that you turn off all power to the furnace and the A/C before starting. You need to have the three wires from the thermostat to the control module connected first. Since you stated that you have two white and two black at the thermostat now I assume (always a bad idea) that you have two cables, each of which has a black and a white conductor. You would have to determine which cable at the thermostat location corresponds with which cable at the furnace and then use both the black and white of one cable and then a single conductor of the other cable OR if you can easily replace the existing two cables with a single three (or more) conductor cable then that would be the best.

The control module then connects to the furnace with the appropriate wiring.

If all you have is the thermostat then you cannot make it work. You must have the control module.

Old 07-09-09, 05:13 PM
W ---------White wire
Y-----------White wire
G-----------Black wire
R-----------Black wire
Just tell me if I am reading right that you have two pair of cable or what ?? if that the case you may have the pairs crossed that why you can not get the unit to function right.

The only way you can do that is ohm it out with ohmmeter to see which pair you are on once you get correct pair then hook up in correct fashion.

Merci,Marc

Old 07-09-09, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
Just tell me if I am reading right that you have two pair of cable or what ?? if that the case you may have the pairs crossed that why you can not get the unit to function right.

The only way you can do that is ohm it out with ohmmeter to see which pair you are on once you get correct pair then hook up in correct fashion.

Merci,Marc
Marc

Yes I do have to pair of cables conected to the thermostat.

as it is right now is working just fine furnace and ac.

but when I try to hook the VISON Pro IAQ thermostat it doesn't work I can send some pictures if you want I already tried but I can't attach them

Old 07-09-09, 05:38 PM
Try Photobucket or other site but do not use the tinydotcom photo website due we have issue allready arise before if you still have issue let us know we will work on to get it attached here.

Merci,Marc

Old 07-09-09, 06:07 PM
Old 07-09-09, 06:41 PM
Marc, he has a "smart" thermostat that requires a control module. It cannot be wired without the control module and it is possible that he has fried the new thermostat trying to make it work without the control module.

Old 07-09-09, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by furd View Post
Marc, he has a "smart" thermostat that requires a control module. It cannot be wired without the control module and it is possible that he has fried the new thermostat trying to make it work without the control module.

To answer your question Furd .,

Yes I do agree with you due after I was looking at the photo as he provided and I went thru with fine comb on the wiring diagram carefully and unforetally agy2107 do not have smart controller it is a standard controller there so there is no way the smart thermosat can work so only way it can work is go back with standard thermosat unless the furance manufacter have seperated circuitboard aka smart controler set up.

Merci,Marc

Old 07-09-09, 08:22 PM
I haven't try to connect anything yet! so no fried thermostat when I conected thw EIM the thermostat was unppluged I didn't plug it because the 4 wire issue.

Old 07-09-09, 08:29 PM
To answer your question Furd .,

Yes I do agree with you due after I was looking at the photo as he provided and I went thru with fine comb on the wiring diagram carefully and unforetally agy2107 do not have smart controller it is a standard controller there so there is no way the smart thermosat can work so only way it can work is go back with standard thermosat unless the furance manufacter have seperated circuitboard aka smart controler set up.

Merci,Marc
Marc

The thermostat comes with the equipment interface module box

This is what I have

VisionPRO® IAQ Thermostats - Honeywell Your Home Expert

Old 07-09-09, 09:04 PM
I added some pictures of the module

Pictures by agy2107 - Photobucket

Old 07-09-09, 11:55 PM
I guess I don't understand your question.

I dealt with Honeywell controls for most of my working life, both residential and commercial/industrial and I found that they usually gave pretty detailed instructions on installation and operation. I don't have the manuals for your particular thermostat in front of me and I don't particularly feel like looking it up because (yes, I'll admit it) the Honeywell website is not particularly user friendly.

You need to mount the control module at the furnace and wire it to the furnace as directed in the manual. It's possible that you also need to supply power to the module from an external source, I don't know that without seeing the manual.

You then wire the thermostat to the control module using three wires. You have four so you need to identify the four wires on each end (thermostat and furnace) and then select three to use for the interconnect wiring. There will be NO wiring from the thermostat directly to the furnace, only to the control module. You will have several terminals on the control module that are not connected to anything.

Before you do anything, you need to remove power to the furnace AND the air conditioner outside unit. One slip at the wrong time can fry the control module, the thermostat or the furnace control board. There may (should) be a fuse on the furnace control board to protect it from a miswire but not all furnaces have such a fuse. Be safe and turn off the power and do not turn it on again until you are sure you have all the wires correct.

If at all possible I strongly suggest that you run a new three-conductor cable from the thermostat location to the furnace and abandon the existing wiring.

Old 07-10-09, 05:05 PM
Furd

I followed your advice and re-wired the thermostat and furnace. First I wired with a 3 wire cable from the thermostat to the EIM as follows:

1--- to red
2---to white
3--- to green
I followed the same sequence in the EIM to conect the wires

Red --- to 1
White --- to 2
Green ---to 3

Then I followed your original post

I bought a five wire cable and wired form the EIM to the furnace as follows

EIM FURNACE

Y Y
W W
R R
G G
C C

Then followed your comments

The furnace-to-outside-unit cable connects as follows:

One lead (color unimportant) from furnace Y to outside unit Y

One lead (color unimportant) from furnace C to outside unit C

I left these wires as per your instructions and I also wired form the furnace Y to EIM Y and from Furnace C to C in EIM.

I connected the power back and surprise!! Everything is working like a charm!!

I tested furnace and AC and both work fine.

I attached the EIM to one of the outsides walls of the furnace.

Evrything seem to be working right I just want you to check with you if you see any red flags

if you want I can also upload some pictures of my hookup

thanks in advance

Old 07-10-09, 05:45 PM
Sounds good, glad it all works. Sure, post some pictures, we all like to see pictures of jobs that work.

Old 07-27-09, 02:11 PM
I have to go out for about an hour but I'll look more closely when I get back. In the meantime it would help if you could write the English words for the devices on the furnace wiring diagram as my Dutch is pretty poor.

Do you have air conditioning with your system? Is the furnace a single stage (heat) or two stage?

Old 07-27-09, 11:45 PM
Furd here the Dutch words

Red = Rood
Yellow = Geel
Black = Zwart
Bleu = Blauw
Green = Groen
Grey = Grijs
Brown = Bruin

but for rest of translated I am not really sure if I can translated it correct but for the diagram I can able figure it out due it used European wiring format

Merci,Marc

Old 07-28-09, 02:33 PM
Okay, I think I have this figured out.

The Thermische terugslagbeveiliging is what we in the US call a "rollout switch". It is a safety switch on the gas burner that shuts down the furnace if the flame "rolls out" of the combustion chamber.

The Maximaal/droogkook thermostaat is what we call a "high temperature limit" switch and is to shut off the gas burner if the furnace temperature is too high.

The Vorstthermostaat would be installed to operate the furnace if the main thermostat was turned off when the home was vacant and the inside temperature dropped to near freezing.

The Regelthermostaat is what we would call an "operating limit". I'm not sure if this operates the blower or if it is in conjunction with the Maximaal/droogkook thermostaat as a safety control. It does not need to be considered in this case.

I think you could use the EIM without a separate transformer but using a separate transformer would be my preferred method.

First remove the factory installed jumpers from terminals R, RC and RH on the EIM.

Disconnect power from the furnace.

Mount the new transformer and connect the primary connections to the furnace primary connections, L and N.

Connect the new transformer secondary (24 volts A.C.) to terminals C and R on the EIM.

Disconnect the present room thermostat from the furnace terminals 6KT and 7KT. Connect new wiring from furnace terminals 6KT and 7KT to terminals RH and W1 on the EIM. It does not matter which furnace terminal and EIM terminal are wired together.

Connect the new Honeywell thermostat to the EIM with a new three-conductor cable using the three terminals on the thermostat and terminals 1, 2 and 3 on the EIM. These wires must be connected in proper order.

Restore power to the furnace and follow the instructions in the manuals for the thermostat.

When you get the air conditioning system installed the thermostat connections for that will be terminals RC and Y on the EIM. You may need to use the new transformer in conjunction with the cooling system depending on how it is wired. Please post back when you get the air conditioning and I'll guide you.

Old 10-01-09, 07:37 PM
Me again. I am installing a Truesteam HM509 into my EIM Unit. I tried the simple way

hum----hum1
hum----hum2

When I tried to set the thermostat VISION PRO IAQ I can NOT find PARAMETER 374 jumps form 340 t 400 no chance to set any humidifier options

could somebody help me please

I am wondering if I have to conect from true steam board to the EIM

true steam IEQ
24 vac--- - to c
24 vac---- to r

Old 10-01-09, 07:46 PM
Agy.,

Hang on tight I will get ahold of Furd he know the layout better than I do however with the C and R that is is your 24 volt soruce but becarefull if you put any device between the C and R you will kick the heating side on if I recall it right.

Merci,Marc

Old 10-01-09, 07:49 PM
Agy.,

Hang on tight I will get ahold of Furd he know the layout better than I do however with the C and R that is is your 24 volt soruce but becarefull if you put any device between the C and R you will kick the heating side on if I recall it right.

Merci,Marc
Marc

Thanks for your quick replay. I won't try anything till i get some advice.

AGY

Old 10-02-09, 09:27 PM
This question would be better asked in the plumbing section under the thermostats topic. Jay11j knows more about these thermostats than Honeywell.

Old 10-03-09, 08:24 PM
This question would be better asked in the plumbing section under the thermostats topic. Jay11j knows more about these thermostats than Honeywell.
LOL Thanks Furd. :-) After owning it in my own home for 3 years, I think I know everything on these IAQ.