Pilot light on 2-pole switch not working

Old 07-12-09, 01:10 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pilot light on 2-pole switch not working

I have a Leviton 1222-PLG double-pole switch with a pilot light in the handle. The pilot light only works when there is no power to one "pole". Wondering if there's a workaround or if I'm doing something wrong.

On pole A is a 120V circuit that is hot all the time. On pole B is the same circuit, but the LINE input is behind a timer. The pilot light only works when pole B is not hot.

To clarify, both poles on the switch are connected to the same 120V load center circuit, same transformer leg: The voltage between the LINE side screws is zero when both are energized.

I have some 1201-PL switches that have a neutral terminal, so I was surprised to see that the 1222-PLG has no neutral screw; Only two LINE and two LOAD screws.

I verified that I've got the LINE and LOAD conductors hooked up as specified.

The Leviton cut sheet says only that "Pilot light switches require a neutral wire". There was no data sheet enclosed with the switch.

I don't know how the pilot light is connected to the two poles. If I reverse the wires on one pole, the pilot light does not work at all. Any suggestions?

Last edited by ArgMeMatey; 07-12-09 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-09, 06:24 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
The Leviton on-line catalog doesn't really like that part number but I was able to find this drawing. It appears that the switch you have is for a 240 volt application. I suspect that the pilot lamp is lighting in your installation "when there is no power to one "pole" because then (and only then) do you have a voltage difference between the two lamp leads.

Workaround? I don't think there is one for this switch in your application. Sorry.

Old 07-12-09, 07:30 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That diagram looks about right. The yoke is stamped 20A 120-277 Volts, and I special-ordered it based on the catalog info regarding the neutral conductor, so I am disappointed. I sent an e-mail to Leviton and I would guess they will confirm your info.

Maybe a workaround would be to put the timer pole on a different circuit and turn this into a multiwire, but that seems a little extreme.

Thanks.