circuit breaker compatibility

Old 07-15-09, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
circuit breaker compatibility

I have recently moved into a home with an old fuse box. The house is 44 years old and the manufacturer of the box is General Switch. I need to add a 20 AMP breaker for a new sump pump but I cannot tell what circuit breakers are compatible with General Switch. None of the existing breakers show a manufacturer name. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-09, 02:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I am certain you meant circuit breaker box, rather than "fuse box". Not sure which breakers you have, but if you post a picture of the panel and it's guts, we can probably steer you to the right choice. You can post the pictures on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the HTML code to your reply post.
From the information I located at http://www.pacificcoastbreaker.com/catalog/1673, it appears Siemens, or General Electric may fit, but check to be sure.

Old 07-15-09, 09:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Looking at Chandler's link it looks like Cuttler Hammer BR breakers will fit your panel. If it does not look right, I oddly think I may have a General Switch breaker in my truck. (I kept be because I never saw one before.) Let me know and I can take a picture of it an see if it matches.

Old 07-16-09, 05:23 AM
Thanks. I will take pictures this afternoon and post them. I appreciate the help.

Old 07-16-09, 09:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I've never seen General Switch brand breakers either. Perhaps it's a regional brand? Any idea if it was made by a different company?

Old 07-16-09, 10:32 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Info from Mike Holt forum. General brand- breaker - Mike Holt's Forum

Old 07-16-09, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator
Ahhh Ray..thats cheating! lol

I saw that earlier...but I didn't see any real solid info or links..so I didn't mention it. Guess the company has been gone so long, I couldn't find much more than a mention at a few places.

Old 07-16-09, 04:08 PM
Group Moderator
Got back and checked the truck. Lo and behold they are General Switch breakers. I got two 20 amp. Here's some pictures:

If you want bigger picts go here: General Switch breakers pictures by TolynIronhand - Photobucket

The connecting parts look similar to Siemens, Square D Homeline, GE, or Cutler hammer BR's. Ray's post pretty much confirms that the BR's is a direct replacement. However if you are interested in these send me a PM.

Old 07-16-09, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
Too late...wth is up with those chickens feet!?

Believe it or not I had pet chickens as a kid.....until they became possum bait or soup.

Old 07-16-09, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Too late...wth is up with those chickens feet!?

Believe it or not I had pet chickens as a kid.....until they became possum bait or soup.
LOL! That is why I changed it to a new album. I'm not really sure why their feet were like that. I did a bunch of research and it tures out they had Merricks's disease but I don't know if that had anything to do with the feet. They have been "removed" from the flock so no worries.

Old 07-16-09, 05:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
RIR's? We have Buff Orpingtons and Auraconas. Blue and pink eggs, weird.

Old 07-16-09, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Not meaning to keep hijacking this thread but...

Yup. I got 4 Rhode Island Red's, 3 Red Star, 1 Black Star, 1 Americana, 1 I'm not sure but I thing is a Red Star but it is buff/red colored. I had to "remove" my only Barred Rock and one RIR.

Old 02-05-13, 10:21 AM
pics of paperwork in my GS panel box

I recognize this is an older thread, but it was helpful and I wanted to add my 2cents worth to it. I offer the switch compatibility page from my GS panel (looks like the GE THQL's are acceptable as well as being readily available)

Attached Images  
Old 02-05-13, 11:13 AM
As stated by others, we have found Cutler Hammer BR's work best in these. They were actually used towards their end and relabled anyway....Not to be a wet blanket but those used Zinsco type mains, as general never made their own. these are discontinued and hard to find. last company that had the Zinsco style main was T&B and those were sold off when T&B got out of the business. To buy a NOS breaker the cost is well over 250 dollars nowadays....and that is for the plug in style main. A bolt in type is almost non existant. Might look down the road at a total replacement.....when you can.

Old 02-05-13, 06:35 PM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
As stated by others, we have found Cutler Hammer BR's work best in these. They were actually used towards their end and relabled anyway....Not to be a wet blanket but those used Zinsco type mains, as general never made their own. these are discontinued and hard to find. last company that had the Zinsco style main was T&B and those were sold off when T&B got out of the business. To buy a NOS breaker the cost is well over 250 dollars nowadays....and that is for the plug in style main. A bolt in type is almost non existant. Might look down the road at a total replacement.....when you can.
I'd agree that the Cutler-Hammer BR breaker is the one to use and I'd also agree with Jim that you should be looking at a total replacement in the not too distant future.