Touchplate System trouble

Old 07-18-09, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Touchplate System trouble

is anyone familiar with the old touchplate systems? my house has it and the bathroom light wont go off. it flickers, but wont shut off. i can hear the relay click nice n loud, so i assume the relay is fine. i replaced the transverter, but that didn't fix the problem. anyone know what the problem might be? any help would be soooooo appreciaed!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-09, 11:00 PM
Welcome to the forums.

The relay clicking doesn't necessarily mean it's contacts are working properly. If the contacts are shot they'll stick and cause the symptom you described.

Pull the power to the relay coil to check it. Without power to the coil, the relay should disengage and completely shut off the light. If it doesn't, the problem is in the relay itself. If it does shut off the light, the problem is on the coil side.

Old 07-19-09, 01:38 AM
If you have low voltage switching set up in your house then more likely the relay is the cuprit.

You will have to find a electrical box where is alot of relays located and yes you can get new one the relay itself is GE RR-7 somecase it will be RR-5 Verison

Here what RR-7 look like

Those item useally found in electrical supply centre.

Merci,Marc

Old 07-20-09, 07:15 PM
rick, you spoke of the relay as if it were two separate components - you said to first check the relay then check the coil. are you talking about each side of the relay? or is there yet another component that you are calling the coil? i think youre just referring to both sides of the relay, but i want to make sure.
i just went up there and disconnected the whole relay and yes, the light went off. but i reconnected another old relay that was no longer in use and now the light will not come on. I will hopefully assume that that relay is bad too (thats why its no longer in use). i will be going to get a NEW relay weds, but i thought id try that first.

Old 07-20-09, 09:38 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
A relay is simply an electromagnetically operated switch. It has a set of contacts like any switch and then an electromagnet (or two in this case) to cause the contacts to move to either a closed (on) position or an open (off) condition. The electromagnet is made up of an iron core and a coil surrounding the core. Energizing the coil causes the iron core to become magnetic and it is this magnetic field that causes the switch contacts to change state.

For all practical purposes it is not possible to separate the electromagnetic parts from the switch contacts for individual replacement so the entire relay assembly needs to be replaced.

Old 07-21-09, 01:05 PM
ok. thats what i figured. i have one more question; my old relay has only 2 wires (black n black) coming from the coil end. my new one (2500B) has four wires (2 yellow, a red and a brown). should i just double them up according to each side or should i not even connect the remaning 2 wires? which wires should i use?

Old 07-21-09, 10:49 PM
What manufacter brand name it is ?

The reason why I asked here due there are too many items that have word " 2500B " once I know which manufacter it is then we can able dail it down to correct connection sequince.

Merci,Marc

Old 07-22-09, 04:25 PM
it the official Touchplate brand out of Houston Texax.

Old 07-22-09, 05:40 PM
To use the new relay with old wire format.

The Brown and Red is your relay source the Yellow's are for LED indentication light

so you hook up the Black to red and other Black to Brown it should work with that set up.

I did look at the manufacter's website and they look simauir to GE RR-5 and RR-7's but make sure you have at least 24 volts to run the relay properly if not it may not function at all.

Merci,Marc

Old 07-24-09, 12:45 PM
well, i went up there early this morning and did everything as was instructed to me and.........IT WORKED!!!!
it works great and i want to thank everyone who helped me with suggestions, recommendations, wiring orders, etc.
thank you thank you!!!

Old 07-24-09, 12:59 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
And thank youn for letting us know how it worked out.

Old 07-25-09, 01:41 AM
Vous Ítes bienvenus.

You are welcome.

Merci,Marc