Bodine Electric Motor Wiring

Old 07-18-09, 12:11 PM
Bodine Electric Motor Wiring

I purchased a Bodine electric motor from a surplus store, but there is no wiring diagram on it. Perhaps someone can help. Here are the details:

S/N- 15011R0020
TYPE- 44C8BVDY-Y
115 V
UF 435 25R
557 RPM

There are 4 wires. They are:
Red
Blue
White
Green/Yellow stripe

Since there are 4 wires, I'm wondering if it needs a capacitor? Maybe that is what the numbers UF 435 25R are calling for?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-09, 09:37 PM
I e-mailed Bodine to see if I could get a wiring diagram, and they were kind enough to send me one. When I asked him about the tag " uf 43s 25r " wondering if this was the value of the capacitors, he replied "These are the capacitor values.
43s (start)
25r (run)"

He didn't say which went where, but I am assuming the 'start' cap would be the one that I have circled and labeled A, and that 'run' would be B.

Also, I'm wondering if uf is a derivative of microfarads. Like in the metric system, where 10 mm is the same as 1 cm.

Old 07-21-09, 09:47 PM
For the starting capaitor yes you are correct it is on A where you circled up and useally starting capaitor is larger than running capaitor rating.

The microfarads is refering to the size of capaitor to tell you how big you will need it.

Two critca you will need to match up is the uf rating and voltage both have to meet the OEM requirement or higher { the voltage rating you can go higher but the uf you keep it to the same or little above but never below the rating.}

Merci,Marc

Old 07-22-09, 07:24 PM
Marc, thankyou very much for your help!

Old 07-26-09, 12:00 PM
After perusing the wiring diagram, I am wondering about the switch shown above capacitor 'A'. It does not state that it is a momentary switch. I am sure the start capacitor is only energised for a second to get the motor running, and then is out of the circuit. Is there a special motor start switch that would energise cap 'A' momentarily, but supply full time power to cap 'B' ?

Old 07-26-09, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by bunsorama View Post
After perusing the wiring diagram, I am wondering about the switch shown above capacitor 'A'. It does not state that it is a momentary switch. I am sure the start capacitor is only energised for a second to get the motor running, and then is out of the circuit. Is there a special motor start switch that would energise cap 'A' momentarily, but supply full time power to cap 'B' ?

Normally most single phase motor will have centifuge starting switch inside of the motor if you have issue to get the motor start up check the starting switch you will have to take one end off to get into the starting switch most common failure will be sticky switch or burnted or welded concats.

Those are few most common failure on starting switch.

The starting switch will be typically found near the peckerhead { motor junction box } end so it kinda relitve easy to get into once you get the cover off.

But few motor do have manual starting switch { kinda rare but if the case let me know I will fill you in more details }

Merci,Marc

Old 07-26-09, 10:14 PM
I hooked up 2 switches as shown in the diagram below. Switch '1' is a momentary contact. Switch '2' is a regular on-off. When I turn on switch 2, the motor will barely turn. If I hit switch 1 for a second ( with switch 2 on ), the motor will start and run. If I hold switch 1 on for any more than a second, the motor makes a terrible noise. I don't believe there is a centrifugal starting switch as I don't hear the familiar sound that comes from a motor when you turn it off. I believe I have it wired correctly, but there must be a better way to get this motor running. Thanks.

Old 07-27-09, 01:01 AM
Yeah there is the other way you can do is add a DPDT or SPDT get one side momemtary and other postion consatant type.

So what the switch will do is you will go to the " start " postion which it is a momentary holding postion just push it long engouh to get it spin up then switch over to " run " postion then it will be fine after that.

I did do little more digging and the way the diagram show if you did see 4 arrow points that mean anything outside of the motor is felid connectons so you will need SPDT or DPDT momentary / consat switch { not too many big box store will have this item on stock otherwise electrical supply store will have this item on stock }

Or other option is you make a master switch like normal single pole switch and have second switch as single pole mometeary switch if you want to go that route.

I will leave the suggest to you to think about how to do this to suit your set up.

BTW, here the link you want to read up what we did help with other member and the situation is the same as what you are on now.

http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...t-run-now.html

I think that will really help you a bit

Merci,Marc

Last edited by french277V; 07-27-09 at 01:14 AM. Reason: add a link for other section of fourm