OK to run cable diagonally through joists?

Old 07-18-09, 03:06 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

So used to running cables at right angles that I wasn't sure if it was OK. I have some recessed lights that are arranged in diamond pattern and would be easier to run wire directly from one to next diagonally through joists, but wasn't sure if inspectors wanted things run either along joists or in straight line through them. I thought I had read somewhere not to run diagonally, but I can't find that now.

Old 07-18-09, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 371 Votes on 321 Posts
I see no problem with it and have never had any inspectors have any problems with it.

Old 07-18-09, 03:51 PM

I am not a code expert, but I could see a potential problem depending on how much of an angle the "cable" runs at.

Anytime you have a diagonal, the unsupported length increases. This could be legal according to the code, but a sloppy installation could lead to a messy situation and cable too close to the ceiling below.

After all, the code is just the worst you can do and still be legal, but it may not be right or the best way to go. - If you run diagonally, take photos so you know where the junk might be.

Dick

Old 07-18-09, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Never thought about it..but I'd say make sure your holes are 90 degrees..that might cause someone to look?

Dunno if theres a rule...just never seen a 45 degree hole through one....

Old 07-18-09, 04:11 PM
H
thanks guys, but I already ran the wire and after thinking about it I realized that I would be doing a lot more drilling if I went diagonally from one to next. By going from one, going straight through the joists to the one on other side of room and then going back through holes I just drilled half way back toward 1st light and then turning and running with the joist to another light and from that one going all the way along joist to other side of room I was able to run all the wire by drilling only one set of holes. I guess used more cable but it is cheap enough now to be a non-issue.

Old 07-19-09, 12:24 AM
F
Myself I done quite few 45 drilling on the joints and there is no issue with that as long you dont oversized the holes ( most holes I bore are useally 3/4 inch range but never go over that unless it have 2X10 or larger then I can increase the hole size but very limited I done that only useally for larger cables that it.

The inspector in my area have no issue with that

However do the stright boring it will be done much quicker and neater it will save more time than try to do alot of 45's

Merci,Marc

Old 07-22-09, 08:34 PM
S
I would never drill diagonally. I'm pretty sure I've read in the nec its not allowed, but I could be wrong. I am all about a neat workmanship manor. I would have drilled on set of straight holes through all the studs and used as much wire as needed. It is cheap now, as you said.

Old 07-23-09, 12:58 AM
F
Originally Posted by strider380 View Post
I would never drill diagonally. I'm pretty sure I've read in the nec its not allowed, but I could be wrong. I am all about a neat workmanship manor. I would have drilled on set of straight holes through all the studs and used as much wire as needed. It is cheap now, as you said.

Strider., The nec code never mention about the diagonally drilling all it fall is neat workmanship that it noting more more like use the common sense with set up.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: