fireplace need dedicated circuit?

Old 07-22-09, 05:54 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fireplace need dedicated circuit?

I know I had asked about this before, but in asking whether the junction box in fireplace could be used for through branch circuit wiring, I was told by manufacturer (heat n glo) that they recommend dedicated circuit. When I wrote back I said that it does not say that anywhere in the installation manual and that the amperage would not require dedicated circuit, here is response I got:

"We always recommend a dedicated circuit for our fireplaces. Anything that you may plug in to a non-dedicated circuit can cause what is referred to as “noise” in the line and can affect the IPI system of the fireplace."

Wanted to see what your thoughts and experience are on this issue. The IPI system is the ignition system. It does not have pilot light.

Old 07-22-09, 06:19 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
It's never "wrong" to install anything on a dedicated branch circuit but often what is "suggested" is a pretty safe bet that a dedicated circuit might be desirable.

However, I am confused when you write, "...whether the junction box in fireplace could be used for through branch circuit wiring," if you are asking if it is okay to have a separate branch circuit's wiring running through the junction box for the fireplace.

If this is a junction box integral to the fireplace (that way from the manufacturer) then the only wiring in the JB that is allowed is the wiring specified by the manufacturer, usually just the power supply and maybe a switch loop. On the other hand, if you are asking about a field-installed JB external to the fireplace itself then you may have several different circuits within as long as you do not exceed box fill requirements.

Old 07-22-09, 06:31 PM
R
All I can tell you is that I've put several fireplaces with the room circuit and haven't had any problems at all. The blower draws very little in amps. Actual I just did it that way in my new home and no problems. Now if you have a large entertaiment system ( TV, Receiver, DVD Player and more ) I would maybe put that on a seperate circuit.
Jim

Old 07-22-09, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 262 Posts
I'm with rukkus. We have never had a problem putting a fireplace on with the rest of the room. IMO it is a waste of wire, circuit breaker, and a space in the panel.

Old 07-22-09, 08:56 PM
H
what I was going to do was run a wire from a room receptacle into the fireplace junction box. then take a wire back out to the mantle for receptacles. to run another wire out of the room receptacle would create box fill violation. I can't imagine that there wouldn't be enough room in the fireplace junction box to do this as I would have both wires go through same NM connector and they would just be getting wire nutted to the fireplace leads. But they can't say what the size of box is. Guess will go to mantle receptacles first then down to the fireplace junction box.

this circuit is 20A and ONLY in this room and ONLY for the receptacles. All the overhead lights are on different circuit. I will have TV, DVD player, Stereo on this circuit, but I can't imagine I will have much more.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: