GFCI Tripping

Old 07-22-09, 09:00 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI Tripping

I have an indoor GFCI outlet that feeds 4 outdoor non-GFCI outlets on the load side as well as a 50' UF run underground to another GFCI in a retaining wall. A couple years ago the sprinkler guys cut the line. It was repaired by a licensed electrician with the UL underground splice kit.

After the sprinklers run or after a rain, the GFCI has started tripping. I've pinpointed it to the underground line but don't remember exactly where it was cut.

I have not measured the resistance in the lines to see how much of a leak there is. Am I allowed to put a regular outlet inside the house and change every other outdoor outlet to be a dedicated GFCI with no load behind it? This would protect every outlet - the only thing that wouldn't be protected is the 50' run to the retaining wall. I believe it's buried around 12-18 inches if I remember.

Old 07-22-09, 09:08 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by ghall426 View Post
I believe it's buried around 12-18 inches if I remember.
Somewhat of a technicality, but it would need to be buried 24" to be not protected by a GFCI.

You could change all of your other receptacles to GFCI to avoid tripping all of them off when the underground line gets wet.

Are you sure it's the cable that's the problem and not water or condensation leaking into the box?

Old 07-23-09, 09:49 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, the box is dry. They actually cut 2 different buried UF cables. The other was to the outdoor lights and it tripped a different GFCI. We found that one and was a bad patch job. Wires were all rusty looking and wet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: