Can I run a 50 Hz motor somehow?

Old 07-25-09, 11:08 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Can I run a 50 Hz motor somehow?

Not exactly DIY, but I remember there are some real sharp motor guys hanging out here.

I have a acquired a SIMMM Engineering high pressure misting pump that has a 220V 50 Hz motor on it. Doing some research shows that they also make this pump in a 60 Hz version, so I don't think they intend for it to be used for either.

What are my options?

First, if I connect it as-is to my 60 Hz supply, will it work? Am I looking at instant damage, long-term damage, or poor performance? It will be connected to a 240V supply. The V/Hz ratio will go from 4.4 to 4.0.

Can I install a VFD and just dial it to 50 Hz? Must the VFD be rated for a single-phase output or can I use two legs of an easier-to-find three-phase output VFD?

It's this pump, except the 50 Hz version: CBS05

Here's the page for them at SIMMM's, but they don't show one with the lower RPMs like mine: SIMMM-Products

Old 07-25-09, 01:26 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The 230 V 50 HZ motor will work on 240V 60HZ supply and it will run somehow faster like example a 4 pole motor run on 50 HZ supply will run about 1500 rpm while the 4 pole motor run on 60HZ supply it will spin about 1800 RPM so it will not afffect not too much but the equiment attached to the motor some can get damaged if go too fast.

The other thing is colour connections it will be diffrent than North America verison you have to follow the connections diagram very carefull with it.

I done this pretty often with European motor to work with NA supply.

If this is a three phase verison then I will have to give you more details on it.

Merci,Marc

Old 07-26-09, 07:04 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, as Marc said, it will work.
Also, as Marc said, it will run faster on 60hz power than it will on 50hz.

If this is a critical application, I wouldn't use it.

The pump was (most likely) sized (output and pressure) for the torque that a (?) HP motor will produce at it's base speed (most likely 1500 RPM).

If you increase the Hz to the motor, the speed increase (RPMs) of the motor may cause the motor to overload because the pump will try to deliver more liquid.

What type of pump is it?
Centrifugal or positive displacement?

steve

Old 07-26-09, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
There are commercial motors that come labeled as being 50/60 Hz and will show the corresponding amperage draw and speed at each frequency.
Whether yours will last will depend on the motor's ability to withstand the higher amperage.

A single phase VFD should work if the motor can not take operating at the wrong freq but would a replacement motor not be more reliable and cost effective.

I have never considered running a three phase VFD on single phase because I view the things I work on as critical and can not afford to go cheap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: