Not getting power from one of my main power lines - HELP

Old 07-25-09, 05:15 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not getting power from one of my main power lines - HELP

Hi,

I am a new homeowner (moved in 3 weeks ago) and am experiencing some electrical problems. I woke up this morning noticing about half of my outlets are not functioning. After a lot of troubleshooting, I realized that of the two main power lines coming into my house, one is reading 122 volts and the other is reading approximately 1-2 volts (I bought the meter today). Therefore, half of my individual circuits are functioning (at 122) and the rest are non-functioning.

I called the power authority and they came to test the lines. They tested at the meter, and I am getting 120 and 120. They also checked downstairs and they verified my numbers (122 and 1-2) at the box. Therefore, the problem seems to be between the meter and my box (which is not their responsibility). Before I call an electrician, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what could be causing this problem. Could something internal (such as a popped GFCI, Bad Receptical, etc) cause the entire power line to be reading only 1-2 volts?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Old 07-25-09, 05:35 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Unless there is another breaker between the panel and the meter I can't think of anything that a novice can fix. It may be a main breaker which would need to be replaced by an electrician because it is always hot. It could be a bad connection on the service entrance cable between the meter and the main breaker box. Again always hot so not a DIY thing. Much less likely a burnt or corroded bus bar at the main breaker.

Yes you could have the power company kill the feed at the transformer and try to fix it but this is well beyond novice skill and I don't recommend you try.

Old 07-25-09, 05:39 PM
G
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Unless there is another breaker between the panel and the meter I can't think of anything that a novice can fix. It may be a main breaker which would need to be replaced by an electrician because it is always hot. It could be a bad connection on the service entrance cable between the meter and the main breaker box. Again always hot so not a DIY thing. Much less likely a burnt or corroded bus bar at the main breaker.

Yes you could have the power company kill the feed at the transformer and try to fix it but this is well beyond novice skill and I don't recommend you try.
Appreciate the reply. My main question is; Could something past the breaker box (like a popped GFI) cause me to be getting a reading of 1-2 volts from the main power line at the breaker box? I am checking the actual wire, but it is connected to the breaker switch.

If the problem is definitely between the meter and breaker box, I would love to have an electrician do this repair.

Thanks again.

Old 07-25-09, 06:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 97 Posts
GN,

I agree with Ray that this is probably not a DIY repair. Time to call in the pros.

No, a tripped GFI or breaker downstream of the main would not cause your problem.

Old 07-26-09, 01:02 AM
F
Both guys have right on the target with the answer and it will be the best to call in the Electrician to come in and have this situation fixed up before something will happend next.

Senice you say 120 volt on one side and 2-3 volt other side that mean the connection is corroed or burnted one of the two and between the main breaker to meter socket is unfused so it will stay hot all the time until POCO kill it by cut the drop off.

The cost to repair it will be varies a bit depending on the damage it cause and the breaker itself and just want to head up with some very old and one brand name have major issue with breaker if that is the case they will suggest that the load center to be replaced with new one.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: