Need help wiring a small squirrel cage motor

Old 07-26-09, 04:03 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help wiring a small squirrel cage motor

Hello all,I'm not a electrical guru by no means,more into mechanical stuff here. I'm asking for help on a small project of mine.I have taken an old upright freezer and converted it into an egg incubator.The heated air inside this incubator must be circulated all the time,so I bought this nice motor-squirrel cage setup off of E-Bay,,Item number: 220384324350
This motor has a brown,red and yellow wire coming out of it.After trying every wire hookup combination possible,depending on which wire,the red or the yellow is hooked to the black power cord wire,after about 5 minutes the motor gets too hot to hold your hand on.If I remember right,if the red fan wire is hooked to the black power cord wire,it spins a LOT faster,than if the yellow wire is used.But regardless of which combination I hook up,I always have to help start the motor spinning.I realize this is a 2 speed motor,but if I want to run it only at one speed all the time,must it be wired thru a 2 speed switch? If that must be done,can anyone tell me how to hook the red-yellow-brown fan wires,to the black and white power cord?
It does seem like if I use the brown fan motor wire,it must be connected to the white wire on the power cord,as using it any other way does nothing.Any help,as to how I need to hook up 3 wires,into two wires,or only use 2 fan wires,hooked to 2 the two wires on the power cord,so the motor starts turning without help,and does not get hot after a few minutes will be appreciated,,thanks,Randy

Old 07-26-09, 06:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Is there a capacitor hooked up to it?...................

Old 07-26-09, 06:17 PM
R
Not as far as I know,if you looked at the listing on E-Bay,what I recieved was exactly the same as in the picture.

Old 07-26-09, 10:51 PM
B
Here is the info from the E-Bay ad.

NOS WESTERN GEAR CORPORATION FAN BLOWER. MODEL B334-4. 115 V.A.C. 1.8A. 3300RPM. 1 PHASE. 60C.P.S. 8 MFD. DUTY CONT. CW ROTATION. 300 CFM @ .5 H20.

I underlined the " 8 MFD ". That is probably the capacitor you need to use with it. I also don't see any mention that this is a 2 speed motor. Is there any more info on the nameplate?

Old 07-27-09, 06:23 AM
R
I looked at this motor,and everything that you have typed,is on the tag attached to the motor,nothing else.There was no information sent with this motor,as to how to wire,or it needing a capacitor.The only info was what was placed with the ad listing,and that is exactly what is stamped on the tag.

Old 07-27-09, 08:37 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Well since the original manufacturer has merged with an oil well equipment company and their web site seems to be little more then a place holder you may have to take it to a motor shop.

I hope you don't mind me being a dutch uncle for a minute but there was way too little info to bid on that item and most importantly no where does it say it runs. If a seller has actually tested an item and it works they will put it is in the description. Also if you had done a quick Google on the item you would have come up with nothing useful. That should always be a red flag. I buy all the time from Ebay but you have to treat it like a game of poker. Br prepared to loose. Don't bid more then you cam loose and most opponent watch the other players for "tells".

Last edited by ray2047; 07-27-09 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-27-09, 08:47 AM
R
I did call Grainger this morning,and gave a technician all the stats that I have on this motor,and he suggested a 7.5 MFD capacitir,so I ordered one for about $6,,he says it will give the motor more torque at start up,and it should not run hot anymore.He told me to hook the brown and yellow wire to the capacitor,and the red wire will be the HOT wire.He said this is not a 2 speed motor,as I first thought.

Old 07-27-09, 08:55 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RandallRay
I did call Grainger this morning,and gave a technician all the stats that I have on this motor,and he suggested a 7.5 MFD capacitir,so I ordered one for about $6,,he says it will give the motor more torque at start up,and it should not run hot anymore.He told me to hook the brown and yellow wire to the capacitor,and the red wire will be the HOT wire.He said this is not a 2 speed motor,as I first thought.
Glad you got it. You may want to ignore my last post.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: