Waterproof outlet for pool pump?

Old 07-27-09, 10:01 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Waterproof outlet for pool pump?

I have a pool pump plugged into a duplex outlet that is under my deck. Recently the GFCI has been tripping whenever water gets on the outlet (rain, powerwashing, etc.). This wasn't happening until I recently replaced the GFCI with a new one (the old one went bad). I noticed the foam stuff around the outlet cover seems kind of warn out, and I couldn't really get it on as tight as I would have liked to.

Anyhow, is there any kind of completely enclosed outlet cover that will cover everything even when something is plugged in? Most I've seen flip up to allow you access to plug something in, but of course can still get water in them if you have sideways rain, etc. Or should I just build some type of enclosure around the outlet? (It is under the deck a ways, so that covers it somewhat.)

Thanks.

Old 07-27-09, 10:39 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Move the outlet. Use the existing box as a Jbox. Remember you can NOT use cable and the receptacle must be 5 feet from the pool (6 feet 08 NEC IIRC).

Old 07-27-09, 10:46 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Move the outlet. Use the existing box as a Jbox. Remember you can NOT use cable and the receptacle must be 5 feet from the pool (6 feet 08 NEC IIRC).
Moving it isn't necessary - plus, where would I move it to? The pump is plugged in to the outlet, so the outlet has to be near the pool pump. It is more than 6 feet away from the pool - I'm using a 12 gauge extension cord.

Old 07-27-09, 12:40 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Replace the current coverplate with an "in-use" coverplate.

(photo courtesy of Intermatic store)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: