wiring up an "extension"cord for miller welding machine


Old 07-28-09, 09:50 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: mckinley park
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wiring up an "extension"cord for miller welding machine

Not long ago I purchased a Miller CST 280 welding machine, much like this but slightly used, NEW MILLER CST 280 PROVIDES INCREASED WELDING OUTPUTS

I took off the old connection and put on a connection that was compatiable with my dryer receptacle, since the machine needs at least 220 volts and the dryer circuit has that.

Everything has gone well, machine works great using the dryer circuit, although some rods and carbon gouging with it is not gonna happen because of the power it needs for those, but for just running regular 6010 or 7018 rods it's just fine.

The problem is that recently I have began to get alot of request for both large and small side jobs I could easily do, and bring in some much needed extra income.

What would be a simple way to make a make shift extension cord that could plug into a gas driven generator on one end and the still make use of the 4 prong connection on the machine itself?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-09, 10:49 AM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: mich
Posts: 53
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
go to a home center, and get a surface mount outlet that matches your plug in. then get a 3/4 inch NM clamp to put on that box. Buy enough SOO cord to make the distance, with consideration to voltage loss if that will apply to your length. then buy a male plug in that suits your purpose. The surface mount outlet is something like 10 bux and the plugin is about 15. The cord will cost maybe 3 a foot. However by the sound of your post, you are not very concerned about your amperage ratings, which is very important. Do this right and make sure you are using the proper rated fittings and possibly you will have to change out parts you already have. I would use 6 gauge wire and use 50 amp rated devices.

If I remember correctly though, the standard for welders is a 3 prong 50 amp. This does not usually come in a surface mount configuration. If this is the case, then buy the flush mount outlet, and then put it into a steel box with a cover, then use your 3/4 inch clamp to feed the SOO cord in. its a bit bulky but its an extension cord.

but since you say your making use of 4 wire then this is what I would recommend. using a 50 amp range outlet.

Essentially you are making one of these.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: