Old knob and tube wiring

Old 07-29-09, 06:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old knob and tube wiring

Hello
I am helping an electrician tear out old knob and tube wiring all in the attic.If I understand this correctly at this time there was only a hot and netural ...... no ground.This is some nasty stuff ,we are removing because contracter wants to insulate attic space.All knob and tube must be removed.The way the knob and tube comes out of the attic we have to install junction boxes.Where this comes into attic space is inside ceiling/attic floor past that is inaccesable.The junction box is now buried under floor.This is not legal is it.Any further education anyone can give on knob and tube is appreciated.

A seperate question......is it legal to get a feed line off a smoke detecter?I was on the understanding that this line is dedicated for that ...period.

Old 07-29-09, 07:28 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Generally you can not splice or alter K&T so you can't just run NM and tie into it but there may be an exception in your local code. You are correct Jboxes can not be buried under a floor. They must remain accessible. And though you didn't ask usually there is no need to remove K&T. It is abandoned in place but that's between you and the insulator.

Smoke detectors do not have to be on a dedicated line and often are placed on a circuit such as lighting so you will know if there is a problem. with power to them.

Opinion: If your electrician is leaving K&T in the wall he is not doing a good job. The new wiring should be run all the way to the fixtures. instead of wasting effort and time removing old wire he needs to be running new wire correctly. Are you sure he is really a licensed electrician?

Old 07-29-09, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Ray....
No the electrician I am helping is not licensed.I would agree all or nothing.The contracter who gave us the work did not want any further cost involved in removing all.The contracter is involved with low income housing and is not paying to get it done correctly and by code.

Old 07-29-09, 09:23 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by 63zerb View Post
The junction box is now buried under floor.This is not legal is it.
No, it is not legal.

Any further education anyone can give on knob and tube is appreciated.
Pretty much the only legal thing to do with K&T is to leave it as-is or rip it out completely. There are no legal modifications of K&T circuits.

A seperate question......is it legal to get a feed line off a smoke detecter?I was on the understanding that this line is dedicated for that ...period.
Sometimes it's okay.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: