programable light switch

Old 08-03-09, 04:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
programable light switch

Church has a light switch for all the exterior lighting which is unlike any switch I've seen before. If you open up the face door it reveals a bunch of little buttons including one that says reset. I assume this is a programable light switch.... at least it looks similiar to the ones I've seen on the internet.

There was a thunderstorm a little while back and the exterior lights went out [2 halogen? and 2 incandesents] I know the incandesents are good, I haven't yet checked the 2 flood lamps. The switch won't turn on the exterior lights and there are no flipped breakers. Can the switch be repaired? Can I replace it with a regular light switch?

I hope to check the halogen bulbs and remove the switch to verify it's getting power tomorrow after I go to my Dr appointment.

Any and all help is appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-09, 04:57 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If this is a Intermatic verison my suggest is change the battery in the unit somecase it can go bad once you change the battery if do not improve the operation then you will have to replace the timer switch.

You can have the timer switch replace with standard single pole switch and test it out to verify if that is bad timer unit { some case surge can kill the electronic timer like nothing }

If the standard single pole switch do work then you know the electronic timer is pretty much toasted.

Most electronic timer useally can handle up to 600 watt indentscent / Halogens without much issue however if you have low voltage units that will add new twist to it.

The cost of electronic timer useally are less than 20 USD and you can find them in big box store.

Let us know what you will plan to do next some area you may want to have electrician come out espcally if you have 277 volts lighting circuits that is very circital area you should not mess around too much with that part.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-05-09, 04:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks Marc!!

I replaced the batteries and that brought the screen to life but either something else is wrong or I'm just not smart enough to program it It is an Intermatic... but I replaced it with a regular light switch which works great

I was wrong about what type of lights the parking lot lights are. They aren't halogen like I thought but rather some type of screw in bulb that I've never seen before...... but I'm sure a trip to our local electrical supply house will remedy that.

Old 08-05-09, 10:09 PM
F
most parking lot luminaires useally either HPS { High Pressure Soduim } or MH { Metal Halide } but once a while LCF { large compact flourscet } or MV { Mercury Vapour } the MV verison is pretty much anquite now.

Most common is useally MH or HPS they look simaiur to large halogen but function wise no it is not.

If you can get the bulb model number I can able tell you right on the bat to tell you what type of it.

Now for the switch that is good to know but really IMO for me for parking lot luminaires you can do this in two ways one is stirctally timer controlled or photocell / timer control the latter one mean the photo cell turn on the parking lot luminaires when it get dark but use the timer to shut it off at cerentin time period so that is one of few ways it can be done.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-06-09, 04:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The bulb is a Venture MH 100W/L RK85M90
I guess that would be the metal halide?

The church was built in 2001 but apparently there are several items that were installed used. A week or so ago I replaced the elements in the kitchen built in oven and was told the oven was a 1979 model. The parking lot lights [attached to the bldg] look a lot like my halogen work lights so that was what I assumed they were until I took the lid off of the burned out one.

Old 08-06-09, 12:20 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 107 Votes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
I replaced the batteries and that brought the screen to life but either something else is wrong or I'm just not smart enough to program it
Intermatic has all their instruction manuals online. If you can find the part number, you'll be able to find the instructions on how to program it.

I've also noticed if you use older batteries, they sometimes aren't strong enough to operate the relay in the switch, even though the display may be on. A brand new battery is often the fix.

Old 08-06-09, 01:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I bought new batteries but I didn't have time to research or look for instructions - I'll save that for another day

Just came back from the electrical supply house .. OUCH!!!! $33 for 1 bulb
glad I didn't have to buy more than one.

Old 08-06-09, 06:44 PM
F
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
The bulb is a Venture MH 100W/L RK85M90
I guess that would be the metal halide?
Yep that is med base Metal Halide bulb and you mention 33 bucks that about right on par for it.

Merci,Marc