hot steam coming from washer - Help

Old 08-07-09, 08:56 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hot steam coming from washer - Help

greetings everyone

i just put my clothes inside the washer then came back after an hour to find out the kitchen air is full with steam and the water/bleach drawer for the washer is damaged because of the hot water, in addition there was some noise coming of the switches installed in the kitchen probably because the switches cover was not totally sealed (one screw was missing)

what should i check? all the equipment in the kitchen ?
should the appartment electricity be damaged ?
and why the main switch didn't cut off?

i am renting this place and i dont want to get into trouble ...

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-09, 09:03 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Do you mean smoke not hot steam? Smoke could have been from an electrical problem. Call a washer repairman. A renter can not do any repairs to the electrical. If the washer repairman determines it is an electrical problem call the landlord.

Old 08-07-09, 09:08 AM
R
Call the landlord right away.
Jim

Old 08-07-09, 09:35 AM
S
ray2047 : actually it was steam ... probably the thermostat got damaged right?

rukkus11: i called the landlord and i've told her about the problem

but is it important to inform the landlord in writing? or just by calling the landlord you are doing the right thing

thanks guys for the quick reply

Old 08-07-09, 09:47 AM
R
Originally Posted by saad.alothman View Post
ray2047 : actually it was steam ... probably the thermostat got damaged right?

rukkus11: i called the landlord and i've told her about the problem

but is it important to inform the landlord in writing? or just by calling the landlord you are doing the right thing

thanks guys for the quick reply
Not sure about your landlord but I'm renting a house now while my new house is getting built. I had a problem with something and called my landlord. He got on it right away.
Jim

Old 08-07-09, 10:11 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I suppose it doesn't help that the newest washer I have ever owned is probably 30 years old but the ones I m familiar with don't heat the water. I do seem to recall ads for some now that do produce steam.The only other way steam would come out would be failure of the water heater safeties. Or did you mean dish washer? If the landlord owns the washer, yes call him.. Again my bad, never rented a place with a washer so just thought it was yours. Sorry for my confusion.

Retreating to my conner and shutting up.

Old 08-07-09, 09:53 PM
S
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
I suppose it doesn't help that the newest washer I have ever owned is probably 30 years old but the ones I m familiar with don't heat the water. I do seem to recall ads for some now that do produce steam.The only other way steam would come out would be failure of the water heater safeties. Or did you mean dish washer? If the landlord owns the washer, yes call him.. Again my bad, never rented a place with a washer so just thought it was yours. Sorry for my confusion.

Retreating to my conner and shutting up.
actually you are right ... its a normal washer that spins but somehow a steam came out from it and i guess your suggestion might be right that is there is a problem with the safeties for the water heater .. and your replies gave some reliefe and i thank you for replying back

Old 08-07-09, 09:57 PM
S
Originally Posted by rukkus11 View Post
Not sure about your landlord but I'm renting a house now while my new house is getting built. I had a problem with something and called my landlord. He got on it right away.
Jim
i guess she is a little bit lazy and i am a little bit too nice towards her lol