Sub-panel grounding

Old 08-08-09, 04:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sub-panel grounding

I changed my service location by a few feet, just around a corner and brought it in underground to build a carport all done 23 yrs ago. POCO insisted on an outside Main with breakers for cut-off at that time. That leaves me with 200A Mains outside, 2.5" conduit around the corner into wall feeding the inside box, previously the Main (now the sub-panel) which has 200A Main also and all the house branch circuit breakers. I am just now finding out that this is flawed b/c Sub has Neutrals and Grounds on same bar.
Question 1) I am now told to isolate Neutrals in this Sub and also that most "quality" electricians will not rely on the conduit to carry ground. Since most of my amp draw is through this inside Sub, what size conductor would have to be run from the ground bar back to the outside Main? Opinions whether this is necessary or just trust the conduit?
Question 2) The inside Sub is a 28 yr old GE panel with a multi-tiered Neutral/Gounding bar. What hoops will be jumped through to install a separate Grounding bar?
Thanks so much for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-09, 04:50 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You will need a #6 copper or #4 aluminum EGC.

I personally don't use conduit for an EGC unless it's RMC or IMC (not using thread less couplings/connectors)

Look on your panel label and see if it says anything about isolated ground bar kits (like a TGL or TGK)

Around here the POCO doesn't have the authority to require anything post meter.