no electricty in basement or living, need advice asap

Reply

  #1  
Old 08-08-09, 09:02 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
no electricty in basement or living, need advice asap

hello all

my girlfriend's mom has 2 power strips plugged into the same outlet, both full. she unplugged them during a storm and as she was plugging one back in the outlet "sparked and popped" and now there is no power in that outlet or any that share the same circuit on the breaker. The breaker is not thrown - but is a little loose (?) ive tried testing all of the outlets with a gfi tester (even though they arent gfi outlets) to no avail and dont have a multi meter on hand.

i am not an electrical person - i can do all the plumbing and building you want but im not very familiar with electrical.

to recap: "spark/pop" when plugging in power strip, no electricity in that room or basement, breaker not tripped, no gfi/gfci outlets that i can find


advice?
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 08-08-09, 09:30 PM
ray2047's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,597
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You need to turn off the breaker and open the box. See whats going on. Move any wire inserted into holes in the back of the receptacle (back stabs) to the screws. Reinstall receptacle and turn on the breaker. May not be it but it is a place to start.
 
  #3  
Old 08-08-09, 09:36 PM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 69
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stupid question I'm sure, but you said the breaker was not tripped in the panel. Even though it may not have looked as though it was tripped, did you still turn it off, then back on just to verify? Most likely you have, but I've run into instances where the breaker looks fine, yet it really was tripped.

Otherwise, definitely make sure it's shut off and take a look at the outlet that's having issues. Also, are you sure it's not a GFI protected outlet that needs to be reset somewhere upstream?
 
  #4  
Old 08-08-09, 10:47 PM
ray2047's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,597
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Also, are you sure it's not a GFI protected outlet that needs to be reset somewhere upstream?
Good point since it is a basement.
 

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 08-09-09 at 09:13 AM. Reason: adjusted html code
  #5  
Old 08-09-09, 09:12 AM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 13,057
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Try bypassing the power strip. I have gotten many a service call because they had no power and I find the problem is not the circuit, but the power strip. Some power strips even have their own overloads. Look for a button thing sticking out of the side of the strip.
 
  #6  
Old 08-11-09, 11:08 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks for all the suggestions, not more than 10 mins after posting i found a multi meter in a closet and went and tested the breakers in the panel, and it turns out the one that was labeled correctly (basement and living room) was bad. took me less than 5 mins to replace it.
 
  #7  
Old 08-11-09, 12:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 10,944
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I'd check out that receptacle too. If it sparked and/or popped, that means you probably have a loose or exposed wire in that box that should be fixed too. A loose receptacle will heat up over time and can burn if not replaced.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: