Water tank level indicator

Old 08-09-09, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water tank level indicator

Hi everyone

I was wondering if it is possible to make a water level tank indicator. What i need to do for it is to some how pass minute amount of electric current to pass through water. This will indicate {by open or close circuit connected with an LED) that water is present or not. I can then make multiple such devices on a rod and dip that rod into water tank. This will indicate the amount of water by means of number of open or closed circuits.

How can i make current pass through water cheaply? Any other ideas how to accomplish this???

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-09, 12:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Why not get an in-tank gas float assembly and attach it to a sending unit, then to a gauge. You could use a small transformer for the power supply. Depending on whether you use an arm assembly or a cup type float assembly you could customize it vertically or horizontally.

Old 08-09-09, 01:32 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Water Depth

Lower the rod all the way to the bottom of the tank. Remove the rod and measure the length of the wet portion of the rod to get the water depth.

Old 08-09-09, 04:29 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
There's tons of ways of doing this, just depends on your budget.

I prefer ultrasonic level indicators myself, but you could also do this with a series of float switchesImage Popup installed at predetermined intervals to turn on your light. Let's say you have a 20' tank you could space them at like 4' intervals and the first and last install a visual and audible alarm.

Old 08-10-09, 12:52 AM
Is this used for drinking water or waste water ?

The reason why I asked here due there are few diffrent ways you can go and I know I deal with large water tank and fuel tanks I have electronic probe gauge which it will change the sensing level to tell how much liquid in the tank and tell ya how much you have left.

And it will be make it easier if you know what size tank and type it is so we can able dail down what you need to be done.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-10-09, 02:09 AM
Thanks everyone for reply.

@french277V
The tank is about 8ft x 5ft x 4ft (approx). It is used for storing water for washing purposes like in bathroom and kitchen but not for drinking.

@wirenut1110
My budget is arround 10 to 15 dollars. so i would prefer something DIY or something very economical.

Accuracy is not any of my concern. I just want a rough estimate about the level in the tank.

@Wirepuller38

the tank is actually our house water tank and is located 3 stories high so manually dipping the rod and gauging the wet area is not an option.

@chandler

I am pretty much a n00b. Could you please explain it in a little bit more detail.

Old 08-10-09, 06:08 AM

Just a simple level switch like this, tied to your light would be an inexpensive solution.

A little more than your budget though.

Old 08-10-09, 08:49 AM
@wirenut1110

Thanks for reply. Where can i get these from?

Old 08-10-09, 10:01 AM
Here's one at Drillspot for $15. Keep in mind the VA rating on these type as it's usually very low but, I small light shouldn't be a problem.
Madison M8790 Horizontal Liquid Level Switch or just google "liquid level switch"