Fuse box with a circuit breaker sub panel?

Old 08-09-09, 02:02 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Fuse box with a circuit breaker sub panel?

Hello all,

In a house that I'm buying it has a 100 amp fuse panel, I'm wanting to upgrade the wiring and panel to a circuit breaker box. Instead of having the power company shut off the power can I just connect a 100 amp circuit breaker panel to the fuse box, and then run all of my wiring through the circuit breaker panel. Basically just using the Fuse box as a shut off to the circuit panel? Then down the road have the power company shut off the power and remove the fuse panel and go directly into the Circuit box. I'm going to slowly upgrade all of the wiring. I know that the best thing to do would be to just go directly to a circuit panel. The fuse panel has 2 cartridges and 4 fuses. I would assume to just use one of the cartridges. What type of cartridge should I use? Thanks Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-09, 09:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Yes, that is a pretty common way to gradually upgrade the wiring if you cannot afford the time or money to do it all at once. Sometimes you run into a little trouble with the permits or inspector with having both old and new systems energized or the permit will expire before you complete the transition. As long as you contact the inspector ahead of time and make sure he's on the same page, it shouldn't be a problem though.

Old 08-10-09, 09:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
For the small difference in time I would just change over to the breakered panel and be done with it. Depending on your space availability this may also keep the unfused cable to a shorter lenght as required by the NEC.

Old 08-10-09, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It hasn't been mentioned and I'm no electrician...but it may also be a good time to look at upgrading your service if the supply from the PoCo would allow it. Of course then you would have to skip using the fuse box for any length of time.