Central air conditioning unit -- help!!!!

Old 08-09-09, 07:18 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Central air conditioning unit -- help!!!!

When I switch on my A/C unit, the fan kicks in fine and it "appears" that everything is functionally sound. However, albsolutely no cool air is being pumped into the house through my registers. I am a total "mental midget" when it comes to understanding or repairing anything regarding electical applications but, before calling in some "shady" contractor who's going to tell me I need a completely new A/C unit, I thought I'd give this forum a shot to see if anyone had any idea what the problem might be.

THANKS in advance for your time, understanding and consideration.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-09, 07:28 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If the fan is working but the air isn't cold, chances are that the compressor isn't starting. If that's the case, there are a number of possibilities that would cause it. It could be the thermostat, a sensor, the freon leaked, the compressor is totally shot.......

The list goes on. What make & model is the unit? How old is it? Have there been any problems in the past?

Old 08-09-09, 07:41 PM
W
No to be too low-brow about this, but the last few cases of non-functioning A/C units we've had here (Texas) were fireants clogging up the contactor. The little beggars love electricity.
A couple of shots of di-electric cleaner and they were good to go.

Old 08-09-09, 08:30 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It was something like that which gave us the term "bug in the system".

Old 08-10-09, 08:12 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
before calling in some "shady" contractor who's going to tell me I need a completely new A/C unit
Then call a reputable one... Ask around for friends', family's or neighbors' recommendations. A normal A/C service call shouldn't be too expensive -- maybe an hour of labor and some small parts like a contactor or capacitor. However if you compressor is shot, then a replacement is the only option.

I thought I'd give this forum a shot to see if anyone had any idea what the problem might be.
Is the breaker tripped or fused disconnect blown? Does the outside unit do anything at all? Does the outdoor unit fan run? Can you hear any noises from it?

Old 08-10-09, 09:07 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If everything seems to be functioning "fine" AHU blower is working, compressor and condenser fan is working, etc. and if it's a heat pump, I'm suspecting a bad reversing valve coil. Since it's "default" is heat.