Dead Transformer 115v to 24v

Old 08-10-09, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Dead Transformer 115v to 24v

So I've been troubleshooting this thing all evening and I've come to the conclusion that the transformer is bad (it says it's supposed to be outputting 24v and it isn't whilst the 120v are inputing just fine).

Anywho, does any electronic people smarter than me know if any transformer will do, or does this thing have to be exact and precise? Here's what I've got: Pri 115v 50/60HZ BLK-BLK Sec 24v 40VA YEL-YEL. I've found a bunch of 36VA and 56VA transformers, but I think this exact one is not very popular. It is a Besler Electric transformer under the number BE121640GAA.

Anyone more electronics educated than myself have any advice?

I really appreciate all your help. My wife was trying to call and order a whole new furnace/AC just because we didn't have AC for a day. Hopefully I can prevent that.

Thanks all!!!
--Seppie

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-09, 11:54 PM
As long you have over 40VA rating on the transfomer you will able to use it.

Get a 56 VA transfomer that will handle it pretty well do not ever go undersized the transfomer some case with undersized tranformer the electronic control may not function properly at all when something engrized like gaz valve kick in if too small it may not open it up.

I know 40 VA is common item for HVAC useage.

You will need the VOM anlog meter and read the 24 volts on secondary side if you are reading zero then the transfomer is pretty much done for it if you have 24 volts there then you have a break in the system that will need to look into more deeper and there are few ways to troubleshooting it.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-11-09, 06:52 AM
Awesome, thank you!

Hopefully I can get this running asap.

You guys are the best!

--Seppie