sub-panel wire size

Old 08-11-09, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sub-panel wire size

Hi all,

I recently had my electrical service upgraded to 200A, as I've added a second floor addition. In the interest of not having to run a bunch of wires from the space of the new addition down through the walls and into the basement service panel, I plan to add a 100A sub-panel in the addition that will be fed from the main panel. I'm curious what size wire you would suggest feed the sub-panel. The distance between the two panel will approx. 15-feet.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-09, 08:47 AM
Are you going to run this in conduit or SER wire?
Thanks!
JimBeer 4U2

Old 08-11-09, 09:00 AM
At this point, I'm anticipating running it through conduit along the outside of the house.

Old 08-11-09, 09:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Through conduit I would recommend copper THHN wire in #3 for the hots and neutral and #8 green or bare for the ground. The minimum size conduit you can use for these wires is 1", however 1-1/4" will probably be better if there are any bends or LB fittings to pull through.

Do you have a good subpanel location? Clearance can sometimes be tough to get in a second floor.

Old 08-11-09, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the suggestion As far as location of the sub-panel, I have plenty of options thankfully. The house addition I had built is a shell-only, so I'll be doing all the interior/finishing work. Therefore, the walls are currently open and 2x6 construction which leaves many location options. I will likely need an LB fitting, so 1.25" conduit may be the better choice for ease/convenience.

Thanks again!

Old 08-11-09, 11:53 AM
As ibpooks quoted #3 would be the wire. Just so you know it's hard in some places to find #3 wire and if you can't then go with #2 copper.

Jim

Old 08-11-09, 07:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by H8Mondays View Post
As far as location of the sub-panel, I have plenty of options thankfully.
Just remember that you need a 'refrigerator box' area in front of the panel. Clearance 30" left to right, 36" in front, and 6' 6" tall. Also remember it can't be in a clothes closet or in a bathroom.