Fraudulent Power Saving Device - Seeking Advice

Old 08-12-09, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fraudulent Power Saving Device - Seeking Advice

A retired gentleman that I know has just paid $100 (COD) for a plug-in device called GnerG. It is supposed to reduce your electric bill by 25%, or more, or less. I have located only two websites that advertise it, one in Spain and this one here in the Netherlands, I think. The product lists a website on its package - greenergysaver.com, but it is just a one page website that does not do anything or provide any information.

This thing is supposed to reduce your home electric consumption, of course. I found a couple of youtube video advertisements here and here. I assume that this thing is a complete scam, but if I am wrong please tell me.

My question: Has anybody else ever heard of this or know any more about it? The man who paid for this feels terrible, and he will probably never get his money back, I'm sure, since the address on the package is a PO box in Miami, and the company name is simply "NP".

I wish I could tell him more than my own opinion that he has been the victim of a scam. Do you have any more info about this item, good or bad, that I can tell him or show him?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-09, 09:47 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I looked at the website but my Dutch is a bit too rusty these days. I did have a professor in college who was originally from Holland but he lectured in English and that was way too many years ago.

At any rate, most of these "power saving" devices contain some fixed value of capacitance and what they do is under certain conditions raise the "power factor" of the incoming power. This does work in commercial and industrial situations where the power company charges a penalty for low power factor but in residential usage it is a total scam.

Old 08-13-09, 09:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Yes it is a scam -- thankfully he only lost $100. I've seen them advertised for up to $400. We have discussed these devices a few times before on this forum. See this previous thread:

http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...ergy-home.html

Old 08-17-09, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A new wrinkle to this particular technology.
It turns out these capacitive devices are playing havoc with a certain type of remote meter reading technology. The meter still registers accurately, but the capacitor prevents the utility from communicating with the meter to get the reading.
End result, the POCO will probably have to start manually reading the meter and bill you a surcharge for the effort.