trying to insatll 100 amp homeline breaker panel

Old 08-13-09, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
trying to insatll 100 amp homeline breaker panel

I have bought a homeline 100 amp breaker panel.I cannot hook it up because the leads from the meter box wont reach.The old breaker box was real small and old.What can do short of repacing pigtail on meter box. Can I install small 100 amp breaker disconnect and run the wires to my new breaker box.If not then how? I would appreciate the help. thanks philrmech

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-09, 03:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Could you explain the whole situation in a little more detail please? It sounds to me like you may be doing something very hazardous. Increasing the size of the service disconnect from whatever the old small box (60A?) was to 100A without also increasing the meter and conductors is a major fire hazard.

Old 08-13-09, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just trying to hook up breaker panel

I bought a breaker panel on line and is just a lot longer than my old one.It is an old square d 100 amp breaker panel from the 1950 something.I am just trying to hook it up without increasing the lengnth of the meter wires. thanks phil

Old 08-13-09, 05:06 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Best advice I can give you is replace the service cable with a piece that is long enough. #2 SE cable is very inexpensive and is the best remedy for this. Working in a hot meter can is dangerous and should not be done by a DIY'er, sorry no offense, you should call a pro. It's like playing that old game of "operation" except it's not a game and can be deadly.

Old 08-14-09, 09:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I agree that the only safe thing to do is to have the power company cut the drop, and then you can replace the conductors from the meter to the panel. There's really no other reasonable solution in your case.