install a hanging fixture using power from pot light

Old 08-14-09, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
install a hanging fixture using power from pot light

I have a hanging fixture I'd like to install that has neutral, live and ground connections. I was thinking of taking power from a nearby potlight, and stringing the wire, holding it up by a nice hook overtop where I want it. Do I need to connect the ground? Could I just use one of those socket-to-outlet adapters, and install a socket plug on the end of the hanging fixture wire? I have diagrammed what I mean in the picture attached. Any help would be much appreciated. Stefan

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-09, 11:12 PM
Do you still want the existing light? Or just the new fixture? Is there access above this ceiling (i.e. is there an attic above?)

Old 08-15-09, 04:21 AM
Originally Posted by nickdel View Post
Do you still want the existing light? Or just the new fixture? Is there access above this ceiling (i.e. is there an attic above?)

hi nickdel

thank you for your questions. no there is no access above the ceiling. i don't mind deleting the existing light.

i just want to make a clean connection to the pot light....i was thinking of using one of those plug/socket adaptors but that would delete the ground wire...

Old 08-16-09, 12:01 PM
Remove the hi-hat and see if the cable that connects to it will reach to where you want the new fixture to hang. If it does, all you have to do is take the hi-hat out, swing the cable over, wire the nex fixture and patch the hole. If it doesn't, or if you can't get the hat down, just run a new wire to the switch, and take the existing wire off the switch, wirenut it, label it, push it back in the box, take the hi-hat down, clip the wire, wirenut it, label it, shove it in the ceiling, and patch all the holes.