Easy way to power a 230v air compressor?

Old 08-15-09, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Easy way to power a 230v air compressor?

I just bought a used 230v 5hp Campbell hausfeld Air compressor. It has a power cord that was cut, without the plug, exposing green, white, and red wires.

What is the quickest, simplest way to power this thing. I have a dryer connection and also the circuit switches near by.

I heard about direct connection to circuit switches, how do I do this?

If I want to use dryer plug, can I just buy the dryer cord and connect it to the G,R,W wires and plug it into the dryer outlet? which color goes to which on the dryer cord?

Please let me know the simplest, easiest, and cheapest. I have very little knowledge about electrical. The most I've ever done is replacing fuses and electrical outlets around the house.

Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-09, 02:40 AM
Will this air compressor be in attached garage or detached garage that will make the diffrence on the code and how to run the conductors in proper way.

As soon we know the answer we will steer you in the correct way.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-16-09, 06:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 147 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, a dryer outlet is 30 amp and the compressor is probably 15 amp, maybe 20....... or does that make a difference?

Old 08-16-09, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
Will this air compressor be in attached garage or detached garage that will make the diffrence on the code and how to run the conductors in proper way.

Merci,Marc
The air compressor is portable with wheels, but I don't plan to move it any where, I have a long air hose.

Also, it is 15amp for the compressor, I think the dryer outlet is 30amp. I'm in the USA where the power is 110v with dryer at 230v.

Old 08-16-09, 11:10 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If the compressor draws 15a full load then you need a 20a breaker and a NEMA 6-20R or NEMA L6-20R receptacle. Your plug should be a NEMA 6-20P or NEMA NEMA L6-20P. The "L" version is a locking version and probably not needed. If you, decided to hard wire it and can not see the breaker box from the compressor you would need to use an unfused disconnect. A 60a AC disconnect would be fine. Your wire should be 12-2 Romex.

Old 08-16-09, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by divinity View Post
The air compressor is portable with wheels, but I don't plan to move it any where, I have a long air hose.

Also, it is 15amp for the compressor, I think the dryer outlet is 30amp. I'm in the USA where the power is 110v with dryer at 230v.
Ok it will be best to run it own circuit and not tap off from dryer circuit at all.

You can run 12-2 NM from the breaker box to the receptale and use the 6-20R and 6-20P the R mean recptale and the P mean plug so this is pretty common item you will find them in big box store and get two pole 20 amp breaker for this useage.

Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
If the compressor draws 15a full load then you need a 20a breaker and a NEMA 6-20R or NEMA L6-20R receptacle. Your plug should be a NEMA 6-20P or NEMA NEMA L6-20P. The "L" version is a locking version and probably not needed. If you, decided to hard wire it and can not see the breaker box from the compressor you would need to use an unfused disconnect. A 60a AC disconnect would be fine. Your wire should be 12-2 Romex.
Ray If the OP do have plug in unit the A/C disconnect swithc is not need it at all due the plug will serve as disconnection but if this unit is hardwired then yes you will need the disconnection switch per NEC code.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-16-09, 11:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by divinity View Post
Please let me know the simplest, easiest, and cheapest.
I suggest for this and future electrical projects that you consider "correct and safe" before "simple, easy and cheap".

Marc and Ray both have the right idea for what you need for the compressor.

Old 08-16-09, 11:39 AM
But Marc I wrote:
If you decided to hard wire it and can not see the breaker box from the compressor you would need to use an unfused disconnect.
n'est-ce pas?

Old 08-16-09, 11:40 AM
Let me add one more comment here anytime you use the 12-2 NM for 240 volt circuits remark the white conductor with red or bleu marker so you know this is a straght 240 volt circuit and yes you can use electrical phaseing tape as well to do that.

And for some reason if the compressor have hard time to start and the breaker trip the code do allow larger breaker only if this is hardwired motor if you stay with plug / cord attachment to your air compessor then the extempt on the code is throw out of the window { if you want to know where it is in the NEC it will be in Art 430 }

Merci,Marc

Old 08-16-09, 11:44 AM
Opps., Sorry Ray I did not catch it real quick { I was on the phone yanking in French } sorry about that it was my fault I should double check it first.

Carry on Ray.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-16-09, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
Opps., Sorry Ray I did not catch it real quick { I was on the phone yanking in French } sorry about that it was my fault I should double check it first.

Carry on Ray.

Merci,Marc
And I just felt like pulling some leg this morning. I really didn't mind.

Old 08-16-09, 02:53 PM
hmmm... thanks for all the great info.

But if I only use the air compressor a few times a year, wouldn't it be better if I get the dryer cord w/ plug at the store about ($20), connect it to the compressor, and plug it into the dryer receptacle? (for this method, which color goes to which? the dryer cord does not have colors)

Or do I have to go to that long procedure with 12/2 wire, 6-20p and 6-20R, and a 20A breaker? with this step, would I change out the breaker I have? or do I just add this breaker?

Merci beaucoup!

Old 08-16-09, 03:06 PM
The breaker on the dryer circuit is to large for your compressor. Only alternative would be to make a portable power supply and that is really not a good option and probably cost as much. In that case you would mount a small subpanel and a NEMA 6-20R to a board. The receptacle would be supplied by a 20a 2pole breaker. The subpanel would be supplied by a four wire dryer cord.

Note if you have a three prong dryer plug you probably can't do the above and even if you changed the breaker you might not be able to use it directly for the compressor because the receptacle may not be grounded.