Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Maintaining 4' spacing of outlets in kitchen under a 5' window

Old 08-16-09, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We've got plans to install a 5' wide picture/casement window above our sink in our kitchen. This would be positioned over the backsplash but be taking up the space needed to maintain the 4' spacing between outlets in a kitchen. Is there any way to simply expand that spacing to fit around the window, or am I required to install an outlet, on the horizontal in the backslash? I'd hate to cut a hole in the granite for just an outlet, but if need be I can do it.
Thanks,
Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-09, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is one of my tricks I done for long time measure from the sink base and out that way you can have a receptale two feet from each side of kitchen sink and work it out and normally the code is 2/4 feet format which it mean two feet is min distance apart and 4 feet is max distance apart.

I will not install any receptale right behind the sink area for safety reason if the wall are allready open it will be good time to relocate the receptale to correct spot and keep in your mind the code required minuim of two circuits which they are GFCI'ed.

Most kitchen I work on it useally have at least 4 circuits there allready so it is not much a issue there.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-16-09, 09:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
All that is required is you need to have an outlet within 24" of the sink. Measured from the edge of the sink. Unless your sink is only 12" wide you should have room on each side of the window to install the required outlet.