Secondary Surge Protection

Old 08-16-09, 05:24 PM
Question Secondary Surge Protection

Hi:

Looking for opinions on secondary surge protection...i.e. Square D SurgeBreaker. Mounts in the panel just like a double-pole breaker.

Work? Don't work? Problems with them? Worth the price?

Thanks.

Beer 4U2

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-09, 06:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Haven't used the Square D suppressors specifically, but in general, my opinion is that they are well worthwhile. With more and more electronics throughout the house, a small surge can wreck havoc very easily.

Not sure there's much difference between the different brands. Generally the cost is directly related to the joules suppressed. IN my opinion, I'd go for one in the $50-90 range... personally I don't think the extra cost is worthwhile.

You should still plan to have high quality surge protectors or UPS on high priced and extra-sensitive electronics.

Old 08-20-09, 06:47 PM
For about 8 years, I've had a similar whole house surge protector as well as surge protectors at each outlet where there is an electronic gizmo and have not had any problems with anything electronic getting fried.

And I live in a rural area with tons of power outages, power blinking off/on several times a month, etc.

Old 08-20-09, 07:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The best approach is a 2 tiered system. One at the panel to protect everything and a second one at the point of use.

Be sure to protect phone and cable lines too.