Grounding a Coax (Cable TV) Splitter

Old 08-21-09, 07:51 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Question Grounding a Coax (Cable TV) Splitter

I just bought a 6 way coax splitter because the cable CO. said it is better than multiple smaller ones through out the house and will result in stronger signal (If this is true I don't know?) I have connected two cable modems (One for voice, one for data) A computer which requires two coax inputs + a DVR Set top box and anther television in another room for six total devices connected.
Setup One 4 Way + another 4 way (All I had at the time) with two unused ports not capped.

OK my question is should I ground the new six way splitter?
It has a grounding screw whereas the other ones did not just mounting screws. I was thinking of just making a pigtail and grounding to the cover plate screw of the nearest outlet but I don't know if that is the right or wrong way to do it. I also thought I should ground it to the computer case (Since it is already grounded and has two coax cables going to in)

Oh I should mention I live in an apartment and I can't muck around in the main panel or anything that serves this Apartments electrical as there are four different apartments on one meter box. I however changed two light fixtures and a couple of the outlets/switches (So I know what I am doing with electricity and yes I got permission from the management)

Thanks and sorry for the super long post just trying to get all of the facts there

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-09, 08:08 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It is supposed to be grounded to the grounding electrode system with no smaller than a #10. You could run a #10 to the cold water pipe if it's copper.

Technically it's supposed to be within 5' of where it enters the building.

Old 08-21-09, 08:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
It only needs to be grounded once at the entry point of the building. This should be done by the cable company when they installed the drop to a grounding block on the exterior of the building.