Connecting american electric oven in Europe

Old 08-22-09, 12:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connecting american electric oven in Europe

Is it possible to install an american 220v oven in Europe?
In the US there are 3 wires. 2 with 110v each and a neutral.
In Europe you have 2 wires one with 220v and the other ?.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-09, 10:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
You could use the American oven in Europe only if the oven is a pure 240V (two wire) model. Most American ovens are 120V/240V (three wire) where the 240V powers the heating elements and the 120V powers the accessories like lights, timer, control panel, etc. However pure 240V ovens do exist if you shop around.

Old 08-22-09, 11:54 AM
Let me add few more tibbits in here due I am dual ciztenship so I am famuir with both USA and French electrical system { the rest of Europe is pretty simauir but not excat the same }

Between USA and Euro system you will see a diffrence between 50 HZ and 60 HZ the European system run 50 HZ that will affect the timer and some electronic equiment.

Now for heating element that part it will not affect at all as long you stay 240 volts. { USA part is Line to Line while European verison is Line to Netural }

And the other thing is colour codes that will varies a bit depending on which part of Europe you will go to.

The modern color useally are :

( French system keep in your mind there are two modern verison so we go either way )

Noir { Black } Phase A
Rouge { Red } Phase B
Marron { Brown } Phase C
Bleu { Blue } Netrual
Vert/Jaune { Green/Yellow} Earth AKA ground

Or

Marron Phase A
Noir Phase B
Gris Phase C ( Grey )
Bleu Netrual
Vert/Jaune Earth

that one of two most common colour we used however we do have 3 more old colour combations but I am not going to list it for now unless you request it then I will type it.

A big head up each country will have diffrent colour codes so in other area it will be diffrent than what you useally see in North America side.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-22-09, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
Let me add few more tibbits in here due I am dual ciztenship so I am famuir with both USA and French electrical system { the rest of Europe is pretty simauir but not excat the same }

Between USA and Euro system you will see a diffrence between 50 HZ and 60 HZ the European system run 50 HZ that will affect the timer and some electronic equiment.

Now for heating element that part it will not affect at all as long you stay 240 volts. { USA part is Line to Line while European verison is Line to Netural }

And the other thing is colour codes that will varies a bit depending on which part of Europe you will go to.

The modern color useally are :

( French system keep in your mind there are two modern verison so we go either way )

Noir { Black } Phase A
Rouge { Red } Phase B
Marron { Brown } Phase C
Bleu { Blue } Netrual
Vert/Jaune { Green/Yellow} Earth AKA ground

Or

Marron Phase A
Noir Phase B
Gris Phase C ( Grey )
Bleu Netrual
Vert/Jaune Earth

that one of two most common colour we used however we do have 3 more old colour combations but I am not going to list it for now unless you request it then I will type it.

A big head up each country will have diffrent colour codes so in other area it will be diffrent than what you useally see in North America side.

Merci,Marc
Marc,
In my oven there are 3 wires: two of them conected each to 110v and another is neutral, I think is used to give 110v to run fan and electronics.
In Europe 1 wire is 220v (one phase). Please explain me how you can make this work. A ot of people say this cannot work.

Old 08-22-09, 04:12 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You are misunderstanding how US electric works. There are two 240v wires not two 110 volt wires as you stated. American high line step down transformers are center tapped 240v. The center tap is grounded. That is your neutral. The 120v components run off that center tap and one of the 240 legs.

European high line step down transformers are not center tapped usually therefore no 110v is available. Since there is no center tap it is one of the 220v legs that is the grounded (neutral) conductor. No practical way to run a U.S. 120/240v appliance on a typical European circuit. You could use a transformer with a 1::1 ratio and a center tapped secondary but a oven correctly designed for local power would be cheaper.

Old 08-22-09, 09:14 PM
Ray sum it up in nice way and he is correct better off if you move to Europe just get European appalinces it cheaper and more safer to boot.

Yeah some americian applainces can run on European power source but in diffrent format and with the stove in Europe they have both 240 or 415 volt verison depending on the size of the stove itself.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-22-09, 09:27 PM
You have two options.

1. Get a center tapped isolating transformer. You will need a fairly heavy one to take oven power.

2. Rework the low votage section to work off of 120V from a smaller step down transformer.

Old 08-22-09, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
You have two options.

1. Get a center tapped isolating transformer. You will need a fairly heavy one to take oven power.

2. Rework the low votage section to work off of 120V from a smaller step down transformer.
That one way it can be done and the size of transfomer as Classicsat mention here

the isolating transfomer size will varies a bit depending on the name plate on the oven itself it can be anywhere from 3 KVA to much as 10 KVA most single wall oven useally can take 4 or 5 KVA transfomer size

Or get small 300VA to 500 VA 240/120 transfomer and follow the connection diagram to see what is on 120 volts and move over and for lightbulb in the oven if standard base change over to 240 volt bulb it more common to find it in Europe than 120 volts bulbs.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-23-09, 01:41 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Of course synchronous clock motors intended for 60hz won't keep time correctly at 50hz.