GE Monogram range Saprk problem

Old 08-22-09, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Monogram range Saprk problem

I have a GE monogram Gas range. When I turn the switch on the spark continues to fire even after litting the range on. The only way to stop it is when I turn the switch off. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-09, 08:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I'd imagine it's a problem with the switch. Does it happen on all the burners or just one? Is it the kind of knob that while it's pushed in it's clicking/sparking?

I'd imagine a switch replacement is in order. Shouldn't be too hard, except sometimes getting into the control panels is the hard part. You can probably find repair manuals online for it to determine exactly what part you need and how to get into the panel to replace it.

Old 08-28-09, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
May not be so easy Zorfdt... Most Monograms have auto re-lite. There's a sensor to detect the flame and when it doesn't detect any flame, it re-energizes the ignition system. There is also no LITE setting on the burner knob... It's all monitored and controled by electronics.

Look for loose wires under the burners, but my guess is you are going to have to replace a circuit board (minimum). Post the full model number and we can look to see what parts are available.

BTW: This probably belongs in the Gas Appliances forum...

Doug M.

Old 08-31-09, 09:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Ahh, those ritzy Monograms.

I'll start simple... make sure the burner covers are all installed correctly and that the flame sensors (usually little brass-looking needles) are reasonably clean and undamaged.

In most cases, the electronics are pretty reliable, it's the physical components that are more likely to fail.

Other than that - I'm out of ideas. Doug makes a good suggestion that you'll probably have more luck in the gas appliance forum.