Faulty receptacle

Old 08-22-09, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Faulty receptacle

Only one of the receptacle from the same circuit is at fault.I popped off the face plate and it was a 3-wire conductor:Red,Black,a White(neutral) and of course the ground.With a Voltmeter,there were power(voltage) coming in from both red and black.So I thought the receptacle was not any good and replaced it with a new one,however,after connected everything and it was still same thing.

It(the voltmeter)showed nothing when I tested the live and the neutral at the same time.

Is the neutral(white) at fault because both the hots are good and the receptacle is brand new?How do I trace to the bottom of the problem for correction?

Thanks for any advice.
Tb

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-09, 01:49 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Sounds like you have two hots not one and that one of them is switched. Was the tab on the brass side of the old receptacle removed? How did you wire this one?

Old 08-23-09, 08:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
If you are not measuring voltage from hot to neutral, but you are when measuring hot to ground the problem is an open neutral.

Look at the last working or first non-working receptacle for a loose connection. Move the wires to the screw terminals.

Old 08-23-09, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Sounds like you have two hots not one and that one of them is switched. Was the tab on the brass side of the old receptacle removed? How did you wire this one?
Thanks Ray and yes the tab was removed.I believe,just like Boss said,it is a open neutral.I just have to trace it backward one by one to find out the loose connection and hope this is the right move.
Thanks to you too Boss.
Tb