New style gfci outlets

Old 08-25-09, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New style gfci outlets

I recently had my kitchen redone and the electricians put it new GFCI outlets around the counter top. These GFCI outlets are almost impossible to get anything to plug into them. If i have a big heavy cord like on a drill or something I can manage to plug it in. But if I have a small electrical appliance such as a coffee pot or something similar it is almost impossible to plug it in without a lot of finagling

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-09, 12:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
They will break in over time. The tight jaws in the brand new receptacle will loosen up. It's a sign of a quality receptacle.

Another possibility is that he installed tamper resistant receptacles which have a built-in childproof shutter. They are required in some parts of the country. You should be able to tell if there is a "TR" stamped in the plastic.

Old 08-26-09, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I can plug things in, it is just very difficult. How do the childproof outlets operate? Thanks for the quick reply by the way......

Old 08-26-09, 07:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
They basically have a mechanical shutter device just inside the blade slots that won't open unless you stick something in both slots at the same time. If you try to stick something into just one blade like a key or paperclip, the shutter won't open.

Here's a brochure from one of the manufacturers that sort of summarizes the TR receptacles.

http://www.cooperwiringdevices.com/p...istSellSht.pdf