what does 334.30(C) pertain to?


Old 08-25-09, 07:00 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: IL on 2002 NEC
Posts: 50
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what does 334.30(C) pertain to?

(per 2002 NEC) 334.30(C) - Wiring Device Without a Separate Outlet Box. A wiring device identified for the use, without a separate outlet box, incorporating an integral cable clamp shall be permitted where the cable is secured in place at intervals not exceeding 1.4m (4 1/2 ft) and within 300mm (12 in.) from the wiring device wall opening, and there shall be at least a 300mm (12 in.) loop of unbroken cable or 150mm (6 in.) of a cable end available on the interior side of the finished wall to permit replacement.

The part that I am interested in, I put in italics. Does this mean that there needs to be excess NM between the last NM securing clamp and the device?

I am wondering if this applies to an outdoor surface mounted box for an exterior light, specifically this model:

Amazon.com: Siding Mounting Kit For 1/2" Lap Siding: Home Improvement

Does this rule apply to this? Simply put- do I need to leave any extra NM loose in the wall behind this, or can I just run the NM straight into the box without leaving excess?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-09, 07:20 PM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,967
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Using the lap siding adapter, you will use it just as you would a junction box, leaving about 8" of wire outside to facilitate easier connection to your light. All the wire will all fit inside once you attach your lamp.
Article 334 pertains to MC cable, and you are referring to NM cable. Same zoo, different cages.
Old 08-25-09, 07:28 PM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 12,937
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Your light kit that you linked does not apply to the code reference you listed. That Arlington kit is a outlet box in itself. Run your cable as normal to the box

What the Code is describing is the type of devices that are used commonly in mobile homes, RVs and other such dwellings. See here ---> Switches and Receptacles: Mobile Home Depot
They attach to the wall similar to a remodel box with the plastic wings. What the code is requiring is if the device needs to be replaced there will be enough slack in the cable to allow you to remove it from the wall.
Old 08-26-09, 08:18 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: IL on 2002 NEC
Posts: 50
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you. It is appreciated.


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: