Victorian duplex

Old 08-27-09, 07:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Victorian duplex

I have a similiar situation that I could use some advice on. I just purchased a pre-1900s Victorian home with knob-n-tube wiring throughout that I'm beginning to replace. The home was at one point a double, divided between first and second floor. There are two meters at the house, and two 100 amp main panels in the basement.

Prior to me buying the house, the one meter socket was pulled and all lines were moved to one box. So, at this point, I have one empty meter outside and one empty 100 amp panel in the basement. Currently I'll be living in the home and would like to keep everything on one main. Down the road, however, I'd like to duplex the house once again and would divide the electric between first and second floors.

So, my question is, would it be advisable to relocate the now empty main panel in the basement to the second floor, setting it as a 100 amp subpanel? Then, as I'm updating the knob-and-tube in the second floor (3 br, full bath, laundry), it would all stem from this subpanel. Then, down the road when I would duplex the house, I could switch this subpanel over to a main panel on a seperate meter.

In my plan, the subpanel would be located in a second floor closet, on an exterior wall that is directly vertical from the basement main panel. At the moment, that wall is an open cavity that I could easily run line and/or conduit between the second floor and the basement. If this sounds like the ideal way to do it, what type of line should I be running? Also, would I run the subpanel at its full 100 amp, or 60?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-09, 07:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
The NEC has a rule that services must be grouped. Either the panel stays next to the first floor panel or a disconnect will need to be set next to the first floor panel.

Unless you meet the work space requirements around the panel it cannot go in the closet. IT cannot go in a clothes closet regardless of size.

In order to properly feed the panel you would need to perform a demand load calculation. This is based on square footage and the appliances in the apartment.

Side note: you will probably need to install a 3rd panel for the public areas of the house.