3-way switch help

Old 08-28-09, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3-way switch help

This is driving me crazy. Like many houses, my entryway hall light is controlled by 2 switches. About a year ago I renovated my kitchen and had access to the wiring of this light which was wired with knob and tube wiring at the time. So, I decided to upgrade it. This is a little tricky because of the way it's wired and because one of the switches is an old push-button switch that does not distinguish the connectors by color. To make this easier (ha!) I've drawn up a diagram...

The switch will work this way - i can use either side to turn the light on and off so long as the other side is "on". So, for instance, if the upstairs switch is in the "on" position, the downstairs switch will turn the light on and off. But if I switch the upstairs switch, the downstairs switch no longer has any effect. However, if I turn the downstairs switch ON, the upstairs switch now works fine. I've swapped the wires of both switches trying almost every combination. I'm starting to get very confused now and I'm thinking I may call an electrician but I figured I'd give it one more shot by posting here.

Another option I was thinking would be to go buy a new 3-way switch for upstairs just to see if it's the unmarked nature of the old switch that is making it difficult to solve but I have a feeling that will just be a waste of time and money.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions at all?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-09, 01:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Based on your diagram you need to move the black wire to the odd colored terminal on the toggle switch.

Old 08-28-09, 02:31 PM
Your diagram looks correct. What is probalby wrong is which terminals you use on the new switch. NOTE: They may be in different physical orientation than on the old switch. The travelers....the red and white going between the two switches, go to the brass screws, and the black wire goes to the screw which is probably painted black.

Old 08-28-09, 03:05 PM
That makes sense. I'll give that a go when I get the chance. Thanks.

Old 08-30-09, 03:20 PM
That worked! Thanks a million!