electric panel location and clearence

Old 08-28-09, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
electric panel location and clearence

Hello all..I am building a new home in east tennessee and doing the wiring myself..I ran into a little problem where i was second guessing myself.. Can anyone help me with code relating to electrical panel location and clearences? I am wanting to mount my panel in the corner of my garage but worried about clearence on both sides..I am wanting to say something like 30in on each side and 36 in front...On one side I have a door..the other side is the corner of the wall which extends out to a window...there really is not any perfect spot to mount this panel going by those clearence measurements. Any help would be helpful..thank you..

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-09, 05:22 PM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
The National Electrical Code specifies a space 30 inches wide, 36 inches deep and clear from floor to ceiling. The panel does not need to be centered within the 30 inch space.

Local codes may alter these dimensions.

Old 08-28-09, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ok thank you.. so i do not need a total of 60 in in whice the panel is centered in the middle..you think i can put in in the corner of the garage in the opening that i have?..Is it also ok to mount all my phone/catv xonnections in the same space or will that be going against the clearence rules? Thank you very much for the reply..I am a novice electrician...mostly done low voltage work...was an electrical apprentice for about 2 yrs...they tought me enough to mess something up..lol...

Old 08-28-09, 05:43 PM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
Yes, you may use the space you indicated for the line-voltage electrical service. Any low-voltage/communication equipment must be outside the 30 inch space dedicated for the line-voltage service.