New Switch on K&T Wiring

Old 08-28-09, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Switch on K&T Wiring

Hi there,

I would like to move a switch from one wall to the other and discovered that it is knob & tube wiring (I have not removed the box with the old switch, but insite the box just the hot wire comes in and out again... I assume the white wire bypasses the box). I think I can do the following but would like to make sure:

- remove the old switch, permanently connect the two black wires in the old switch box to complete the circuit, and close it up
- find the wiring in the basement
- cut the hot wire
- run new romex from where I cut the K&T up to the new switch
- connect the black romex wire to one side of the cut K&T, and connect the white to the other side of the cut
- connect both the black and white wires to the switch

I am basically using both the black and white wires in the romex cable as hot wires, and have not disturbed the original white K&T wire.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-09, 08:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
There is no legal method to modify a K&T circuit. The only options code allows are to leave it as-is or to upgrade the entire circuit to code, which would require complete replacement.

Old 08-29-09, 09:21 AM
I did have an electrician in who said the switch could be legally moved, I just didn't get the specific details. I'm not adding any load to the circuit, just moving the switch.

Old 08-29-09, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by fiftyseven View Post
I did have an electrician in who said the switch could be legally moved, I just didn't get the specific details. I'm not adding any load to the circuit, just moving the switch.
That is not the case as Ibpooks mention the NEC code is very strict with T&K set up and the only safe way you can do is leave it as it or replace it complety and far for your electrician they should double check the NEC code expaining about it.

Check with other electricians they will pretty much will tell you the same thing as myself and Ibpooks mention here.

BTW with the T&K you can not extended it or relocated at all.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-29-09, 12:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
AFAIK the NEC still allows connection to K&T, the connections must be in a junction box and each K&T conductor must enter the box via a separate, correct clamp type connector.

Chick with your Your local AHJ, which may forbid such connections.

Old 08-29-09, 01:37 PM
Michael.,

I understand what you are saying on the T&K however there is one nice gotcha if you did not catch it you can not extend ungrounded T&K circuits.

Most AJH do not allowed to extend it at all most will ask to leave it alone as it is or remove it complety.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-31-09, 09:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I believe the fine detail in the point you mention Michael is that NEC allows an in-place repair of K&T using a junction box; however in my opinion it does not allow extension of a K&T circuit to a new location because it is ungrounded.