Installing an outlet in backyard

Old 08-30-09, 09:29 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing an outlet in backyard

I want to install an electrical outlet in my backyard for powering a water fountain and play some music. Rather than getting a line from my main circuit, I am thinking of using an existing socket in my backyard (I have several outlets on the wall as well as a couple underneath my roof/gutter for christmas lights).
But instead of using juts an extension cord, I am thinking of making a more permanent arrangement. Here is my plan:

Get an outdoor wire/cable, something like 12-2.
Get a regular 3 prong plug to connect one end of the wire to the existing outlet (probably the one under my roof for christmas lights).
Run the wire down to the ground along the wall and then bury it underneath using a pvc pipe/conduit (18" or so deep).
Get the free end of the wire out at the desired location and connect it to a GFCI outlet at that end in a weatherproof box.

My question is will this work? Is my hardware correct (12-2 outdoor wire, GFCI outlet, plug and use of my existing socket as the input)?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-09, 09:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 83 Votes on 71 Posts
Non-metallic cables are not listed for use with the cord cap like you propose.

Why not just wire the cable into an accessible junction box?

Old 08-30-09, 01:52 PM
B
Well, no junction box is that easily accessible.
What sort of a cap would go with the cable?
Thanks.

Old 08-30-09, 02:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You will not find one.

Old 08-30-09, 02:16 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bondj303 View Post
Well, no junction box is that easily accessible.
What sort of a cap would go with the cable?
Thanks.
It is with an extension ring. You would need to use a weather tight one and protect the UF with conduit to the point where it entered the ground.

Old 08-30-09, 03:16 PM
A
What you are proposing would probably work, and I can guarantee it's being done by many. However it would not meet NEC requirements. Local codes vary and could be more or less strict than the NEC.

Also there are specific distance requirements in the NEC for receptacles near pools or fountains. Don't quote me on this, but to give you an idea ... I think it's 5' minimum from water's edge to recep, and that recep must be a special recep such as locking, not a 5-15R or 5-20R, and the special recep must be used for a pump only. It's fairly complicated but as you go further from the water you can have a standard recep. I can't remember if that's 10, 15 or 20 feet.

Old 09-01-09, 09:05 AM
B
Red face

okay, i went to lowe's and talked with the guy in the electrical section there and got the necessary stuff.
but the plug he gave me to use at the end of the cable that goes into my existing electrical outlet does not match the cable I got (12-2).
the cable has 4 wires: black & red (hot), white (neutral) & a bare copper wire (ground).
the plug has attachments for only 3 wires. I couldn't find a plug which could accomodate the 4 wires in the cable. So I guess the electrical sales guy in Lowe's didn't know much either.

My question is: is there a different plug I need to buy or do I need a different type of outdoor cable (say one with 3 wires only).

Thanks.

Old 09-01-09, 09:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The cord cap is NOT for use with a cable.

Please do it correctly or not at all.

Old 09-01-09, 10:14 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
but the plug he gave me to use at the end of the cable that goes into my existing electrical outlet does not match the cable I got (12-2).
the cable has 4 wires: black & red (hot), white (neutral) & a bare copper wire (ground)
That is not 12-2 cable that is 12-3. You have the wrong cable also. With NM-b the ground wire isn't counted. So for example 12-2 is 2 insulated wires and a bare ground.

Old 09-01-09, 11:33 AM
B
Red face

I thought so too, he didn't give me the right cable. And I bought like 20 ft cut from a role. So I guess they wont even take it back. I specifically told him I want a 12-2 .....