Generator subpanel

Old 08-30-09, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Generator subpanel

I have a 200 AMP service into my house and a 100 AMP subpanel in my guest/quarters/garage. The 100 AMP box is small and full. I am thinking about getting a generator and want to install a transfer switch ( most of the key electrical items are wired in the garage 100 AMP). I was thinking of instralling another subpanel in the garage to free up some circuit breakers and tidy things up. My question, can the transfer switch also act as a full time subpanel and a transfer switch in my garage or do I need to do another subpanel and a separate transfer switch. I was hoping to segregate the circuits that I want on during a power failure in the new sub panel Thoughts please. and thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-09, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The transfer switch only acts as a bridge for your existing panel. Power on, power runs through it to the subpanel you have, power off it terminates there. You'll need another panel to do what you describe. My generator works so far. Derated and all.

Old 08-31-09, 04:35 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dmarqry View Post
My question, can the transfer switch also act as a full time subpanel and a transfer switch in my garage or do I need to do another subpanel and a separate transfer switch.
First, I'd suggest you start a new thread but, since we're here, I may as well answer.

Yes, transfer switches, whether manual or automatic, are made with load centers built-in.
Here's an auto switch with load center

Or just google "gen ready load center" for manual switches.

Old 08-31-09, 06:03 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I failed to mention that, depending on your panel manufacturer, you may be able to procure a generator interlock kit for it.