Critique My Jbox

Old 08-31-09, 06:53 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Critique My Jbox

I think I've gotten pretty good at making up a junction box and making it clean/organized inside... What do you guys think?

I know it's only 2 14/2 but I'm still practicing

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-09, 07:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Normally each cable is run into its own strain relief, but that's not to say it isn't done doubled up. One more thing you need to do is run your grounding wire around the green screw......nevermind, I see it. Now on to switch loops, line cables and 3 way switch travelers in one box.

Old 08-31-09, 07:44 PM
R
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Welcome to the forums! Normally each cable is run into its own strain relief, but that's not to say it isn't done doubled up. One more thing you need to do is run your grounding wire around the green screw......nevermind, I see it. Now on to switch loops, line cables and 3 way switch travelers in one box.
Not sure what you mean by "normally" - those clamps are UL listed for two cables.

Old 08-31-09, 08:43 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Some brands are listed for one, some for two so details, details.

Old 08-31-09, 09:00 PM
R
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
Some brands are listed for one, some for two so details, details.
It's a Halex 3/8" clamp. Which brand is only rated for a single cable?

Old 08-31-09, 10:55 PM
B
Originally Posted by romexican View Post
It's a Halex 3/8" clamp. Which brand is only rated for a single cable?
I don't think you will find them anymore if the clamp is rated for romex only most are two 14's or 12's. There are a few universal metal clamps that secure both romex and armored cables like MC that are rated one romex cable.

It's a nice job. Your real close though on the outer sheath coming into the box far enough.

In Canada they can secure two grounds under the screw with a capture swage on each side of the screw... they dont wrap the screw. No pig tail that way
[
You can also use a thru greenie wingnut which would eliminate the pigtail.

Also a wago is a way you could have terminated the wiring and ground.

I would have also used the sleeve crimp in a metal box as you did.

EDIT: This is a universal clamp for AC,NM and MC it is rated for one cable one 14/2,14/3,12/2 or 12/3.

Last edited by Bruto; 08-31-09 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-01-09, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 204 Votes on 181 Posts
Looks good to me! My only comment is I HATE those crimp on ground things. I use wire nuts. Also, I'm happy to see your twisting the wires, However, you may be going a little too much (the ground in particular). Not that theres anything wrong with it but if you ever have to take it apart, or add a wire, it may be kind of a pain.

Old 09-02-09, 12:01 AM
R
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Looks good to me! My only comment is I HATE those crimp on ground things. I use wire nuts. Also, I'm happy to see your twisting the wires, However, you may be going a little too much (the ground in particular). Not that theres anything wrong with it but if you ever have to take it apart, or add a wire, it may be kind of a pain.
Yeah, I realize I may have over did it with regards to the length of the twisted wires... But I leave enough slack curled up inside the box that if I cut off the entire twisted portion I would still have plenty to work with. That's part of the reason why I like using 4" boxes as opposed to "handy boxes" even for just a small splice. You can leave plenty of slack for future use. 4" box is actually cheaper at HD.