Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can someone help with hot water energy saver on breaker box?

Old 09-01-09, 05:30 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I just bought a home and my wife is home during the day with our kids and today we ran out of hot water and I was baffled. I then went down into the basement and noticed on the side of the panel is an old style appliance rate saver. The light was lit red showing the appliance is off during peak hours.

Is there anyway to disable this? I know it helps but with the wife home most of the day, I don't want her to run out of hot water.

OR! Can I overide this thing? I don't see a switch on the unit anywhere? ITs the old style that looks like a wall thermostat to describe the outer box.

The tank is insulated and all pipes are wrapped as well so I can live without this box on the line.

Can I pull the fuse on the unit itself or does a full removal need to be done?

Thanks for your help!
Spankey

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-09, 05:51 PM
A
The ones I have seen have a sticker on them to call the utility, or the utility's contractor, for service. Check with your utility to see if they installed it for a previous occupant. If you do not want it, they should come back out and bypass it. You should ask them how much more you will then be paying.

Old 09-01-09, 09:18 PM
F
All it depending on which model it you have in there and some can bypass easy and some are not depending on the set up and the best answer is talk to the POCO to see what they can do with their part first to change it due you may end up on two or mulit tier rates so that something you may want to check it out before too late.

Merci,Marc

Old 09-02-09, 03:43 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If it is an old water heater it might be time to consider a gas water heater.. In many parts of the country it costs less to use gas. In my area it is about 1/3 less.

Old 09-02-09, 03:43 AM
S
After opening the 4x4 box where the line from the breaker and the unit meet inside I found it was just wired to the hot water heater line. Like an in between cut off.

I removed the unit and then wire nutted the two lines back together for the hot water heater. Sure enough its running fine now.

These things are great but man what a pain if you run out of water, there is NO way to bypass them. I know they make hot water heater timers now so maybe those you could bypass if needed and I will look into one of those and toss this unit.

Thanks again though, sorry for the trouble.
SPankey

Old 09-02-09, 08:06 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
These things are great but man what a pain if you run out of water, there is NO way to bypass them.
Some utility companies have newer digital units with more features and controls. Perhaps if you want to explore it further you could contact them and see if they offer a different controller now.

I know they make hot water heater timers now so maybe those you could bypass if needed and I will look into one of those and toss this unit.
The water heater timers are only cost-effective if you use hot water on a very regular schedule. With a family at home, the timer will be more trouble than it's worth.

Old 09-02-09, 09:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 178 Posts
In our area the POCO sizes the water heater (or heaters) to be able to meet the needs of your family. The heaters only run on off peak times (9pm - 5am and 11am - 1pm) and store the water for use through out the day. The bonus over just a timer is that they sub meter the power used by the water heater(s) and give you a discount rate on the kilowatt hours used. It is almost half the cost per kilowatt hour than their standard rate. I suggest contacting your power company and talking to them about your situation. I'm sure they could find a solution (like adding another water heater which most cases is at a discount price) that will meet your needs and save you money.